Growing in deep shade?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by liamog, Aug 10, 2010.

1. liamog

liamog Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Part of my garden is in deep shade from mature trees. I have "Hostas" doing well and "Helliborus" also doing well.
    Any ideas as to what I might plant in the way of shrubs. Also are there any autumn planted bulbs that prosper in deep shade?
    Regards,
    liamog.

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Fatsia Japonica will grow anywhere, stays evergreen, blooms in winter and is pretty tough in cold weather. You could a few of the big ferns - the ones that reach up to a metre in height or more. Trying to think of shrubs, but I only 'do' perennials or shrubs that like damp in winter, dry in summer (Cornus!). Someone else will come up with a few ideas I bet. Does it get any sun at all?

You can plant bluebells, fritillaria and Lily-of-the-Valley bulbs in autumn to flower in Spring. I think tulips will tolerate shade as well, and might provide a bit of late Spring colour there.

3. Pete02

Pete02 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    you could try a few ferns, they always look good growing with Hostas,
    Dryopteris (Buckler Fern) Gymnocarpium (Oak Fern) and if you have
    plenty of room Osmunda (Royal Fern). they would all look good in a
    shady situation.

Pete

4. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,537
    The bulbs you select for shaded conditions have to come up before the leaves are back on the trees. Also Virginia Blue Bells does very well. Also adding the more yellow Hosta will perk up the darkest corner.

Check out some of my slide shows for April 2009 at Estherredstar Channel (google)
    And of course all my other slides. Last years were better, had a different computer, this year past April 2010, have to do movies.