growing laurel hedging in a narrow container...?

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by garjobo79, Jun 25, 2018.

1. garjobo79

garjobo79 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Hello, new to this forum but old to gardening.

Noisy neighbours! Yawn i know!! but doesnt solve my problem.

I love the look of a courtyard, tallish med-style plants ( im UK based btw ), but they have to be in raised containers - which i plan to make myself. Decking board style, holes, rocks, always like to put sand mixed in with compost and soil.

Anyway, apart from question 1 - anyone recommend tallish plants that will grow in reasonable containers ( 5ft x 5ft , depth 3ft or so ) . And question 2. I have a narrow / shady aread inbetween our house and 'theirs'! I have erected a tall fence, I have tried planting, bamboo etc etc I REALLY want to lessen the noise of their contant yapping. I have a water feature btw.

So - any trees, that will grow in container? Any ideas for an thin area ( container would be 2 foot wide for this ). Can i grow Laurel hedge in a 2ft container? depth not a problem...shall i bother?

Laurel grows well for me, 10ft high etc in other places...thinking at best a decent hedge..between us but again - narrow, shady spot.

thoughts ideas welcome. Any 'material' perhaps I can use on the fence to help block out the endless chit-chat we have to listen too. Love the sounds of their own voices type people.

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      • Like Like x 1
      • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
        +10,302
        I have bamboo in raised blue barrels theirs no bottom in the barrels though and the roots can go where they want once they reach the bottom.
        DSC_0101.JPG

• Like Like x 1
        • garjobo79

Ratings:
          +21
          Thank you Gail and Martin for speedy replies, thanks for the useful link. Martin those bamboo look mighty tall, I wonder why they wouldnt grow so well in the barrel it if did have a bottom?

Do you think growing most plants with a handful of sand/grit combined is a bad thing?

I really would like to grow laurel in literally 1 foot width containers, again, depth 3ft and length 3 or more foot..its the width the problem. What do you think? Air pockets, gravel, sand inbetween? make a difference?

• Like Like x 1
          • Useful Useful x 1
          • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
            +10,302
            I am no expert but i think most things grown in a container will have restricted growth, post a few pictures up of the area you want to work on i am sure you will get more suggestions that way.

• garjobo79

Ratings:
            +21
            HI Martin, I have attached a photo, taken in the dark but you can see the small area im working with and it is shaded. Ignore the plant boxes and the bamboo - these need rearranged, bamboo isnt working - so will transplant into wider containers.

I did post on another thread - thought my issue was more a planting one than a 'project' -but hopefully will get some replies and ideas. The tall fence is staying...but was thinking of building a taller, slightly wider ( not much..need to walk past type thing ) container, maybe length of the fence, approx 12foot i guess.

Having tried various plants, they grow..but nothing special..thinking of hedging - laurel - boring, but will get height, neat type thing. Ideally would love a tree in between- a container tree? thoughts?

Well you asked for picture - so any thoughts welcome...Ivy ..not a fan..a good type..the lighter, white one seems nicer..wouldnt do much to block out noise though?

Get your creative juices flowing. I have a water feature wouldnt work sitting there though..and water isnt loud enough to block them out. People huh! selfish, annoying people! give me the smells of the countryside anytime!!

Attached Files: