Growing Lettuce inside?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Newbie1979, Oct 2, 2024 at 8:09 PM.

1. Newbie1979

Newbie1979 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello, would it be possible to grow cut and come again full size salad leaves under grow lights during winter in the front bedroom?

Anyone any advice?

Thanks in advance.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,627
    I dont see why not, not something I have tried but others will know the optimum temperature and daylength required.

3. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,801
    I grow some indoors, but not through winter, and I wouldn't go to the extremes of using those grow lights. I don't really use it over winter anyway.
    As long as it has enough light, and warmth, it should be easy enough though. If you have a room with decent light, it's worth a go though.
    The biggest difficulty could be in late winter when daylight hours are low. The further north you are, the fewer those daylight hours are too. Opposite way round in summer. :smile:

4. Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,070
    Yes, that should work.
    If you have a decent LED grow light, that should provide good enough light for your leaves.
    LEDs emit very little heat, so the light can be only 4" - 6" above the plants - so you need a light that will illuminate your growing area.
    Keep the light on for around 16-18 hours/day and it should work well.

It's not a cost-effective plan, but it should work.

I've grown lambs lettuce in my unheated greenhouse over winter before now - with some success.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • infradig

infradig Total Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
      Ratings:
      +1,172
      Potentially, you could do this. Likely issues are grey mould, botrytis, aphids and whitefly. Ideally source plants which have been established under cover, to eliminate possible importation of these pests, and slugs. Select suitable cultivars, perhaps using cos types, which are described as winter hardy, varieties Winter density, Brighton and Jack Ice spring to mind. You may consider a growing medium which is clean rather than garden soil, although not necessarily sterile. Use 5/6" pots so you can move them around and water sparingly by immersion and allow to drain.Temperature 12-15 deg C should be sufficient.
      Report how you go along.
      Good Luck