growing nothing more disaster

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rosa, Sep 6, 2006.

1. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Thats it guys i am growing nothing more edible on this balcony total disaster.
    1 green bean with 2 pods in it,patio tree dead, tomatoes zilch,blacberry and redberry bush total disaster dead and the fig tree is just about on its way out.
    The only thing that is doing well is the vine over the arch, touch wood.

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,211
    Morning, Rosa. I'm off the green beans and tomatoes as well. Can't do the blackberry and redberry (?) bushes here but my fig tree is okay. Had about 14 fruits in this its second year ... hurray!

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    morning LoL, your doing better than me at least thats one thing i get the pleasure of knowing everyone else is doing ok, can you imajine that 1 green bean with 2 beans put them in with my turnip on sunday they tasted ok just wished i,d had a few more. :D :D

4. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    :D But rosa, these plants don't do well on alcohol! :D

Seriously rosa, I think it has been a bad year weather wise, my runner beans have been very poor this year, tomatoes not great...nearly knackered already! Awful problems with whitefly this year, so don't give up on it - gardeners have to take the rough with the smooth! ;)

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Dag, maybe a balcony is not the place for growing fruits as the climbers are taking over and doing very well.
    maybe i should of given them a good swilling of a few of these [​IMG] [​IMG] :D :D

6. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Rosa, you must be pushing gardening to the limits by growing in your circumstances, so can't expect too much success all the time, I think you have given it a brave try and done surprisingly well in the circumstances, and I am sure your efforts have been admired by others on here?

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks dag, it was a good idea at the time, next year i will just concentrate on my flowers and climbers as my clematis are growing fantastic each year so i cant complain can i.

8. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi rosa, I think you manage really well, I have not had ANY green beans as the slugs have been having a field day ! I have got 2 plants which are just flowering now....

9. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Rosa Sorry to hear about your disasters this year but don't give up. My brother in law has had no green beans this year either and he's been growing them for donkeys, a lot of other people have said the same so perhaps it's the weather/climate and not you.

10. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi liz and celia, have been noticing other members have had disasters this year especially with their beans, your probably right about the weather, although lol has had problems and she has a hotter climate in portugal suppose we just cant win whatever the weather.

11. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,523
    Runner beans don't like it if the weather gets too hot. The flowers don't set or, when they do, the beans tend to get thick skins and are tough.

July was not quite a disaster for our beans but they were rubbish compared to normal. Since the weather changed in August they have now picked up very well. I grow a lot of plants because I sell the beans for charity and normally have about a hundred plants. The quality of the beans are now back to normal with tender stringless beans but the size of the crop has not equalled previous years. I have picked about 20lb per week for the last two weeks but it is usually nearer 50lb.

This may sound a lot but I have so many plants and the result is very poor so don't get disheartened. I found that the variety 'Armstrong' did best during the heatwave but 'Polestar' has now easily outstripped them. Polestar is a very good variety of stringless bean and regularly does better than most other varieties I've tried.
    ----------------
    shiney

12. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Shiney.We have tried Polestar in the past,very good.This year we wre growing Enorma and a white/yellow variety called Mergoles.This one produces flowers,then beans later, so we get a longer growing season.

Ours are very slow,even after the heatwave.Loads of flowers,but not many beans, the leaves are shrivelling due to lack of water

Kandy

13. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,523
    Kandy
    in the past I've found that Mergoles crops better than Enorma. You need to give them lots of water. This is very difficult when there is a hosepipe ban but is worth the effort. Remember that it is better to give them a very heavy watering less often than to give a light watering frequently. The heavy watering encourages them to send their roots deeper (following the water) and they survive much better. If you give them just a light watering the surface of the soil is the only part that gets wet so the roots stay on the surface - and dry out in the heat.
    ----------------
    shiney

14. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    SHINEY, MY RUNNER BEANS HAS BEEN a disaster, for the first time in years. I will change to polestar in future.my broadbeans was the best crop ever. and grew it for the first time.my plot is the size of an allotment and this year IAM PUTTING WEED GROUND COVER as I am sick of the weeds when it rains.

15. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    so sorry to hear of everyones disasters must be very disheartning to say the least putting lots of crops in and having everything go wrong, it sounds very much like this global warming is having a bigger effect than we anticipated.