'Growing' on a concrete patio - containers/raised beds?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Flower Pot, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Flower Pot

Flower Pot Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, We are moving into a new house, but it's completely concrete and decking - not ideal.
    The whole plan was to move and grow as much fruit and veg as possible, for ourselves. Is this going to seriously hinder us, or is growing in containers/raised beds possible?

Many thanks.

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,742
    Hi Charlotte IMHO it shouldn't hinder you at all my friend,I have grown fruit and veg this year in some raised beds/containers/half barrels etc, :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Flower Pot

Ratings:
      +4
      That's great! Thanks so much for taking the time to reply - much appreciated.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Salad leaves, radishes, certain varieties of carrot, potatoes, strawberries, raspberries, currants, peas, beans, tomatoes, courgettes, plus herbs (basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary, mint) have all been successfully grown in pots, planters and raised beds in my garden - and I'm a 'beginner' (ok, with 2 years of trying/learning :heehee: ).

I *know* you can do it Charlotte :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
        • Flower Pot

Ratings:
          +4
          Oh wow! Didn't realise I'd be able to grow quite so much. That is just brilliant, thank you :ThankYou:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
            "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
            Ratings:
            +4,445
            My garden floods very badly, I had the whole area gravelled and the patio extended, and I have all my fruit bushes, herbs ,beans in containers. Along side my flowering tubs it all mixes quite well.

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            And I'm only a beginner! I'm sure other, more experienced members will be able to add to my list (and probably double it! :heehee: )

But, I do have to say, unless you can find patio equivalents (and I admit, I haven't looked) things like sweetcorn are a nono :nonofinger:

Even fruit trees (apples, pears, cherries, plums) can be grown on a patio in a pot :dbgrtmb:

PS: Loving your UserName :dbgrtmb:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,668
            The only thing wrong with containers is watering them ... frequently!

If starting from scratch I would consider incorporating some irrigation into the designs.

No chance to rip up the concrete? I reckon it is easier to get good results in soil, rather than containers.

• sumbody

sumbody Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +303
            I always grow veg in containers - they do need regular watering as has been said - this year I got trays for the bottom of the pots to keep them watered longer - especially in this hot weather - rather than just running out the bottom - has worked better since I did this.

For me, peppers and chillies grow well in containers.

S

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
            +8,074
            Agree, almost everything can be successfully grown in containers and watering is the catch. Cancel the 2 weeks in Spain :snork:

The bigger the container is, the easier life gets. I have/am successfully grown raspberries, blackcurrant, strawberries, sweet peppers, tomatoes of all sizes, carrots, lettuces, radishes, beetroots and of course herbs in containers.

Since the space in a town garden is limited, I am focusing on growing Very Special Things instead of trying to be self sufficient- in the end, I get great potatoes and carrots from my greengrocers all year round.

Miniature variants and unusual shapes are also great in containers, for example the small round early carrots grow happily in an Asda smart price washing up bowl and make a smashing addition to the Midget's lunch box. (= when picked to be part of her lunch. I rarely plant up any containers actively used by a family member :redface:)

I also consider any plant as an ornamental plant- if something is ugly and not worth it from edible point of view, I leave it to the professionals. I want my small space to look nice, not utilitarian.

• Agree Agree x 1