Growing on straw and quail poo

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by nicky1972, Feb 3, 2011.

1. nicky1972

nicky1972 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I have an area behind my aviary where I throw my used bird straw (quail). It's completely in the shade - any ideas what I can grow on it? The straw is on dirt and about 8 inches deep (if I trample it down)

Thanks

Nicky

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nicky & welcome to Gardeners Corner.

I would imagine that would be high in nitrogen, so a heavy feeding plant like a pumpkin would enjoy it.

Kristan will have more suggestions:WINK1:

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I agree with Ziggy about the high nitrogen content in the compost and that pumpkins would be a good candidate. Cucumber [outdoor type] and marrows should be good. It should rot down pretty quick as well.

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    What about the high acidity of bird poo? If it is too fresh then I would guess it would only be any good for acid loving plants, although I believe the pH level heads towards neutral as the poo rots, so once composted thoroughly it should be ok for most stuff I'd have thought.

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats true Dave.

Nicky, don't add anymore fresh stuff to the bit you intend to grow in. By the time (April/may) you plant into it, the nitrogen should have done its stuff & rotted the straw. Fresh bird poo will burn the roots.