Growing peas so they hang down??

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by neek, Apr 28, 2010.

1. neek

neek Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I want to grow peas in a drain pipe which I have cut loads of holes in. I was originally going to put it up against a wall for them to climb up but it would be a much better use of space if I could just hang the pipe up horizontally and have them drape down hanging basket style! Will they waste all their pea growing energy trying to grow upwards or will they just go with the flow?
    Cheers

2. charly96

charly96 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know but I suspect they may get damaged in windy weather if theyv'e got nothing to hold on to. Still, only one way to find out and gardening is all about experimentation! Interested to hear the results if you do go ahead.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :scratch: :hehe: Well this is a new idea to me neeb.. Intriguing.. I love a little experiment... :D
    I would think they would grow up to start with as that is their natutal way to go, but probably the weight would make them hang down after a while, but I wouldn't like to say for defo though....... As long as they get plenty of light, food & water & sun for the best part of the day then I would try it.... :scratch: Hmmm I have a hanging bag I might experiment that with too...!!!!:wink: We have to try these things you know...:gnthb:

4. neek

neek Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the replies. I made the drainpipe planter by cutting loads of squares out of a plastic drain pipe, I blocked one end with the end of a lemonade bottle, filled it with soil then shoved a plant in each hole. The problem was watering it, it's really hard to get the water in so I scrapped it, went to Wilkinsons and bought some hanging baskes and transfered all the plants into those instead! Still going to grow dangle down but watering won't be such an issue. I shall report back!

5. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :dh::rotfl: Oh Neek I love your enthusiasm...!!!.. I think if you wanted to do the drain pipe idea, you needed to put the end you stopped off slighly lower than the other so that the water you put in flows down then stops.. That way it will water them all..... :wink: I have to admit that planters are allot easier.. I think you would have needed to water your pipe 2-3 times aday as peas like plenty of moisture... Good luck with your planters & look forward to a progress report..!! :D:thumb:

6. neek

neek Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Even at an angle it did not work very well, the water just washed the soil out and it got very annoying very quickly! A drip feed system would have worked if there was an easy way to implement it but just using hanging baskets seemed a much better idea. :)

7. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :hehe: Oh well you tried it & now your curiosity is satisfied till you think of something else.... :hehe: I think we all do it Neek... They always seem such good thoughts at the time I know... :lollol: Just try & keep the baskets moist a pea like plenty of water & moisture.. Try not to let the comost dry out completely neek as it is a nightmare to get it to re-absorb the water.. I have a load of washing up bowls I stand my baskets in either over night or for at least 2-3 hrs a day.. :wink:

8. neek

neek Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just as well I don't have a job any more as my days are going to be spent watering!! I mixed loads of vamiculite into the compost so fingers crossed it won't dry out too quick!!

9. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  10. GeorgeBean

GeorgeBean Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I put loads of peas in old plastic hanging baskets, they looked good last year, trying again this year, Ill post a pic if they are like last years.

11. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,088
    I'm just wondering how many peas you actually get from a hanging basket and is it worth the effort:scratch:

12. GeorgeBean

GeorgeBean Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    They looked nice :-) Didnt get many, maybe three meals, but IT didnt cost me anything, I have a ton of dried peas. Just out of curiosity, how long do dried pea's last before they wont grow?

I once heard of an ear of corn found in an egyptian tomb that was still grown.