growing peas

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by islayhawk, Apr 26, 2012.

1. islayhawk

islayhawk Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I have a small piece of ground where I would like to plant peas. It still has grass on it. At this late time what would be the best way to prepare the area for planting ie compost etc.. I have pea plants and I would like to get them into the ground as soon as possible

islayhawk

2. Kleftiwallah

Kleftiwallah Gardener

Retired by circumstances.
    Ratings:
    +568
    It sounds as if you have the cart before the horse! Get the grass off, turn over the soil, rake the soil to break the soil up, draw a hoe across the ground to create a drill and sprinkle a few handfulls of Chicken manure pellets put your peas in there.

You aren't trying to tell us there is no rain in your neck of the woods are you ? ? ?:blue thumb:

3. islayhawk

islayhawk Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks - I was more worried about composting the ground. As I always thought that too much compost would not suit the peas. I was given the seedlings so hence the reason I do not have the ground prepared.
    We have as much rain as we could possibly need. Would send you plenty if I could.
    We should run a pipe from Scotland to England cos I am sure we can spare plenty

islayhawk

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Make sure this pipe from Scotland to England bypasses the north east please, we've got enough water.

Back to the original point, if you're in a hurry, I'd just skim off the turf to one or two spade widths, then break up the exposed ground a bit, then put the seedlings in.

What are the peas in now? I find if they're in pots, you have to be extremely careful getting them out, much more so than other types of young plant, as for me they seem very delicate. If they're in bio degradable pots (or toilet role tubes or similar) just shove the whole lot in the ground.