Growing Phoenix canariensis

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by keithhampson, Jul 12, 2012.

1. keithhampson

keithhampson Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, I've just bought a 25cm Phoenix canariensis from my local garden centre, what is the best way to gro it? Do I plant it in the ground or a large container? I want to increase growth as much as I can, what is best?

Thanks

2. stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
    Ratings:
    +2,369
    Depends where you live, away from the immediate coast this isn't really a viable long term candidate in the UK. So if you live inland in a frosty area you probably want to put it in a pot and grow that way. Grow it on in cool condition though (outside) as the plant will develop a bulkier appearance, and it will be generally tougher, if it is grown in a greenhouse it becomes lanky, and not able to tolerate light frosts.

If you live by the coast however, grow it on in a pot, then after a year or a few years you can consider planting it out (if you want it for the long term). They are fast growing, so it should gain a fair size in just 5 years.

3. keithhampson

keithhampson Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks, I don't live near the cost, about 50 miles inland in the midlands, is the any palm tree that I can grow successfully to a good height in my garden? I love the Mediterranean looks.

Keith

4. stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
    Ratings:
    +2,369
    If you can wrap the palm sufficiently it's possible to get it to a fairly large size. But you'll have to keep wet and moisture out of the crown below around -5C. It will take a good wrap in conditions below -5C, and if you can do this then you have a good chance of it getting tall.

Sometimes though wrapping can lead to the palm going into decline, if the wrapping gets wet, so it might take a fair few layers of fleece on a very cold night to get decent results.

If we have a normal run of winters it will survive, but we cant guarantee this unfortunately.

The best palm tree for any British garden is Trachycarpus fortunei (windmill palm), these will take up to around -17C when mature, although younger ones will take around -10C. They also tolerate wet and cold and freezing. Perhaps Chamaerops humilis too, as these are fairly hardy and available in most garden centres.

5. Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,236
    I had one a few years ago, but it didn't do too well.

They get very big, so ideally, should be in the ground. But our winters are too cold for them, so they should get some sort of protection.