Growing potatoes for Christmas

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by oakdaledave, Feb 23, 2011.

1. oakdaledave

oakdaledave Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi guys. I'm up together with my veg growing plan, but wonder about growing a few potatoes in a large pot. My ain is to have all my own veg and pots for Christmas lunch. I often buy potatoes at the supermarket and if not used fast enough they start to sprout. Is it possible to plant a sprouting potato and therefore grow more? If so, when should I plant ready for late December harvesting? Thank you. Dave

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/Thread-Christmas-Potatoes.html?highlight=christmas+potatoes

Steve...:)

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Fame at last!

I grow potatoes, in a bag, to have New Potatoes at Christmas, but I do ask myself "Why do I do this?" I mean ... its not natural to have New Potatoes at Christmas, what you should have is Roast Potatoes ... I do it because the kids prefer New Potatoes and as parents we like them to eat their veg (but we are modern parents, so instead of "If you don't finish your veg you will eat them cold for Tea" we say something more like "What veg would you like me to grow that you WILL eat you little rat-bags ...")

You could grow Potatoes in the ordinary way, store them, and have them Roast or Baked for Xmas. Having said that there is nothing particularly complicated about growing Potatoes in Bags or large pots for Xmas, and thus you will have New Potatoes for Christmas instead of Roast.

For our Christmas Lunch we usually have (as in "we grew ourselves") New Potatoes (yeah, as discussed above!!), Roast Potatoes (Main Crop, stored for the winter), Parsnips, Brussels Sprouts, Celeriac, Leeks, Jerusalem Artichokes and Squash.

Christmas Lunch 2008
    Christmas Lunch 2010