Growing rambling rose into tree

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Butterfly6, Jun 15, 2024.

1. Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
    Ratings:
    +575
    We’ve just had a beautiful rose Francis E Lester delivered from Peter Beales, Father’s Day present for OH. He wants to train it to grow into our old quince tree. Any advice please on how best to do so?

We don’t need to worry about harvesting any quinces, our tree suffered quite badly with bark splitting when we had the “beast from the east” some years ago. It starts off with beautiful new foliage and blossoms well but slowly fades during the summer looking rather sad and with little fruit. It’s probably very slowly on its way out, hence the decision to enhance it with a rose.

2. Dovefromabove

Dovefromabove Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,583
    We have a Frances E Lester at the foot of our large pollarded ash. It’s taken quite a few years to get going .. I think the dry-ish bank wasn’t ideal for it … it is doing much better since the ash was re-pollarded so now the rose gets more light and moisture.

So I would say don’t expect it to take off in a rampant fashion … patience and a bit of TLC is needed … but every year when it bursts into flower … covered with the prettiest roses I know … I’m so glad we chose it.

• Like Like x 1
    • floralies

floralies Gardener

Retired.
      Ratings:
      +414
      I have a rambling rose growing through a cherry tree. It will take a while to get going. Plant it away from the tree roots and then support it to the tree.

• Like Like x 1
      • Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
        Ratings:
        +575
        I thought we might not get any flowers this year but it is smothered in buds with just a few open to tease us with the scent. I will make sure we keep an eye on it re watering whilst it’s getting established and as advised will (try and) be patient

• Like Like x 1
        • Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
          Ratings:
          +575
          Well, it’s planted. Was a bit of trial and error to find a spot without a major root in the way but finally found. It’s has a good watering and the position gets lots of afternoon/early evening sun.

Our first rose ordered from Peter Beales and it was a beautiful specimen. Strong stems, good height and smothered in flower buds. Also impressed with the packaging. Very similar in box design to David Austin but much slimmer and efficient. We tend to default to DA because they are so close to us but will make a point of looking at PB in future

• Like Like x 2