Growing saplings from an established alder tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Gigagator, Oct 11, 2024.

1. Gigagator

Gigagator Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

I am shortly due to move house.

In our current house my wife and I planted an alder tree at the bottom of the garden a few years ago which has quite a bit of sentimental value to us.

It is now too big to take with us, so I had the idea of growing a sapling from it somehow and then planting this in the garden in our new house, as an ode to the original tree.

I'm not sure how feasible this is and I certainly would have no idea how to go about it.

The tree currently has these catkins growing on it - is there a way to grow saplings from these?

IMG_20240919_182017_439.jpg

Forgive me if these are dumb questions but I really am very green when it comes to this sort of thing.

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,322
    • Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +93,115
      The seeds are tiny, I have grown them but not to maturity.
      Fairly fast growing in the early stages.

Just take a cone, not the long dangly ones, and put it in a warm room, it should open and the tiny seeds will fall out.

You could sow them straight away and cover the surface with grit, then leave outside in a sheltered position, you should get seedlings coming through in late spring.

• infradig

infradig Total Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
      Ratings:
      +1,210
      I think you should succeed with cuttings taken Nov-January. Strip the bark 40mm from bottom and plant in fine silt soil. Keep wet and in shade . It likes damp conditions, boggy ground. Even logs left behind when clearing have been seen to root !