growing spring bulbs in containers

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Louiseness, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Louiseness

Louiseness Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys and girls :)

I'm looking for a bit of advice on spring bulbs for containers. Since I have a decked garden I was looking to brighten it up a bit with some bulbs (not too set on which type - leaning towards crocuses at the moment) and I thought I'd better get started as I know it's better to plant them round about now.

Ideally I'd like to bulbs to flower for a few years to come, so I was looking at naturalising varieties. But it seems sort of a waste to have a container sitting looking empty for the rest of the year.

Would I be able to plant anything that flowers in the summer alongside my bulbs to make the most of the container for a bit longer? Or would this affect them or damage them in any way?

I know I can always pull the bulbs up and store them for next year but I was trying to avoid that option by choosing bulbs which will to an extent 'look after themselves'. If the only option is to pull up the bulbs, then I've been told I could get tulips to come back every year if I store them over winter, is this right?

Basically, any bulb-related suggestions welcomed :D

2. Prudence Potts

Prudence Potts Gardener

Ratings:
    +37
    For several years we have had containers with miniature bulbs (Tete a Tete, February Gold etc.) Once they have finished flowering and the leaves have died back we simply overplant (leaving the bulbs in situ) with summer bedding such as begonias, lobelia, etc. Once these have died back in the autumn, we pop in a few winter violas and let the bulbs come up through. You just need to top up the compost each spring and make certain everything has a good feed now and then!

• Like Like x 3
    • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
      "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
      Ratings:
      +4,445
      Hi Louise

It`s still a little early to plant your bulbs although they are starting to be available in the stores/garden centres. :heehee:

You can still buy them and store till you are ready ,it gives you more planning time as well .You can spread your flowering times over 2/3 months with some thought .Various varieties flower different times, :yess:

I am away on hols till late March so always get late flowering varieties so I get to see the flowers and not have the neighbours telling me how nice they were. :hapfeet:

BBC - Gardening - Gardening Guides - Techniques - Plant spring bulbs

• Like Like x 1
      • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,087
        I've been thinking of planting some bulbs in some troughs that I have, so thanks for the advice :o

Just one question - can I plant seeds in the container once the spring flowering bulbs have gone? Or can I plant a mix of spring/summer flowering bulbs together so they come up at different times?

Many thanks :dbgrtmb:

• kyleleonard

kyleleonard Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +950
        I bought some Holland Queen Tulips yesterday, the best looking Tulip I've seen! Reminds me of Rhubarb for some strange reason.

• Louiseness

Louiseness Gardener

Ratings:
        +4
        This is exactly what I was asking in fewer words! :D

That sounds like a fantastic plan! Presumably you have to plant the bulbs fairly deep to have room on top (if that makes sense)?

Would you just recommend this approach with daffodils/miniature varieties or do you reckon it would work with other things like crocuses etc?

EDIT: Oh and are there any specifically later-flowering types of bulb? If I could plant the two types together that might work well for what I want too but I know very little about all of these things!

• borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
        +48
        Hi Louiseness,
        I'm still learning but thought I would tell you my experience. I have a couple of smallish pots with tulips in, that I leave in the pots all winter & they have been coming up ok for the past couple of years. However, when I pot new ones I'm going to use this tip from the great Geoff Hamilton - plant one layer of bulbs, put layer of soil on then put another layer of bulbs. This makes the pots 'full' of tulips. The pic I saw of it was brill.
        I get very confused about what should be lifted and what can be planted with them too. Think prudencepotts' idea is great.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,248
        Hello Louise
        This article in the link below explains a typical layer planting ,late tulips - daffs - crocus , very well.:thumbsup: One word of caution , last year I planted ,as usual , some plastic containers with bulbs. They did not fare well in the very cold weather we had here( -9°c ).If you are planting in plastic they may need some protection for the worst of the weather.
        The Natural Gardener: Planting a Lasagna Pot
        PS : Early tulips flower late March to April , late tulips flower April - May. I wish they would flower all summer, they are a stunning plant :dbgrtmb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
        • Louiseness

Louiseness Gardener

Ratings:
          +4

That is SO useful! The pics really help. I'm pleased to know that the ones growing up from underneath won't affect the ones above too much. The only problem now is that I will be significantly poorer after going on ANOTHER bulb buying spree :D

• Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
          +437
          Cheers for this photo.

I was just going to ask about layering in pots.

I have tulips, alliums and anemones. Seems straight forward enough.

I noticed the two diagrams appear to differ as to which layer daffs and tulips should be on?

• Like Like x 2
          • Grumpy

Grumpy Gardener

Ratings:
            +59
            Yerst, I always thought Tulips should be deeper than Narcs.

:scratch:

• Like Like x 1
            • CosmosGuy

CosmosGuy Gardener

NHS
              Ratings:
              +306
              I planted some spring pots up last a few weeks back....wish I'd have seen this. Luckily I've still loads more bulbs to plant, and I'll give the method below a bash though. I planted a load of crocus in my biggist lily pot, figured they should be ok seen as they're planted so shallow and the lillies much deeper. Worth a gamble. So much variety...I keep buying them....it's like an addiction....they just happen to slip into the basket. Got some lovely daff's at the weekend - ice follies and intrigue. Also happened to spot in Morrisons they had bags of mixed daffs for £2, a medium-ish sized bag I'd say. Great bargain though....thought they were worth a shot at that price :dbgrtmb:.

• Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
              +437
              Good morning Cosmos,

I thought Id bought far too many bulbs, but due to layering Ive got 15 to a pot and so now have to order some more!

Ive just also noticed the anemone in the second diagram has been planted pointy end down.

Will mine be ok pointy end up? :D

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
              "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
              Ratings:
              +4,445
              Hi Melinda
              They will probably be ok they grow to the light and nature always finds a way.:WINK1:

If in doubt in future plant them on their sides then they can go where they want :loll:

• Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
              +437
              Hi Pam,

I only put them in a few nights ago, so I may fish them out of top two inches and then do as you say and re- plant them on their side!