growing spring onions to seed

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by mutleysquest, Apr 14, 2011.

1. mutleysquest

mutleysquest Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello I'm a novice vegetable grower and grew spring onions successfully last year. I left a couple in the ground to see if they might produce seed, but being a novice, didn't know what to do or what to expect ... and nothing happened!!!
    I planted them from seed and don't want to have to keep buying seed. Does anyone know how to get seeds from spring onions???? :help: I've planted some more seed this year and would like to discover how to do this!!!
    Many thanks

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    You have to remember that last winter was very cold and very wet, so any spring onion bulbs you left in probably rotted. Grow them again this year, harvest them ALL, but keep a couple of bulbs to replant next spring, they should run to seed for you.:dbgrtmb::D

• Like Like x 1
    • mutleysquest

mutleysquest Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      thanks so much for that - so if I keep a couple of bulbs in the garage and then replant these in the spring, these will shoot up? brilliant :) thank you