Growing stocks from seed I collected

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by elliegreenwellie, Mar 17, 2008.

1. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I saved the seed pods from some stocks I grew last year and hung them up in the shed to dry, I opened the pods yesterday and collected all the seeds.

I have sown them however notice they seem to have a sort of clear crust or film around them. Am I on a hiding to nothing, should these seeds be digested first? Are they unlikely to germinate If so I'll use the propogator and compost for something else.

Also I collected some seeds from my cornflowers last year, if I plant them will they be just as good as buying a new packet.

I love the thought of collecting and growing my own seeds, even more satisfactory growing from seeds you collected from plants you grew from seed. I don't actually have a clue what I am doing however [​IMG]

Many thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts.

Cheers EGW x

2. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Ellie, I'm hoping to be able to harvest my own stock seeds this year (I bought a packet to start me off and they arenow germinating). I seem to remember that the seeds were quite shiney in a cloudy sort of way (I know I'm making no sense) [​IMG] If your cornflowers are not F1 then they should grow from your seed. I saved some of my sweetpea seeds from last year and they are coming up. Give it a try you never know :D

3. elliegreenwellie

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Celia, I'll give them a couple of weeks to see what happens! - I think I have the old seed packet for the cornflowers so I'll check if they are F1 or not.

Thanks again EGW x

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Ellie. As Celia noted, if your packet says F1 hybrids - at best they won't come true and at worst they won't even germinate.

Other than that - your seeds are as good as anyone else's. I normally let the seed heads dry and collect the seed itself in autumn. The seeds then need to be kept in a dry and cool environment. I put them in a sealed container in the fridge. If the seeds have got damp they may have attracted mould spores and may not be viable.

If stored well, many seeds can be kept for several years. But it depends on the type. I have just planted some Wallflower seeds from last years packet and they have done very well. Give it a go. [​IMG]

5. elliegreenwellie

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Peter - I just presumed those left over from last years packets would be fine and have planted loads - might explain why my lobelias still haven't germinated! and only a few geraniums have taken this time - ****** I thought they would be fine - best invest in some new ones!

My stocks have been hanging in the shed cold and dry but I have just taken them out of their pods - I'll be dead chuffed if they germinate, I'll keep going and see just how many years I can get out of that first pack of seeds!

target 30! (I know I am getting ahead of myself now they haven't even germinated yet! )

So far with all the stuff I have bought and considering how cheap generally bedding plants are and how many hours you put in(and how many I have messed up!) I don't think growing your own is totally economically worth it, however it is so much more rewarding - and everything I grew from seed last year did far better than those from the nursery.

Yey for gardening! x

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    You are right Ellie, it is satisfaction as much as just saving money. Having said that, if you want a large clump buying lots of plants can be very expensive.

If you have perennials, another way of multiplying your stock is by division (if that makes sense). Many perennials divide very easily. For instance I bought a single Lobelia 'Queen Victoria' four or five years ago and I now have at least 60 as well as having given a lot away.

7. elliegreenwellie

Ratings:
    +1
    Um a perenial lobelia, that sounds lovely, I'll have to look that one up!

8. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Ellie, there are two different sorts of Lobelia - that are so differant that it is difficult to think of them as the same Genus.

The annual one that you are perhaps thinking of is Lobelia erinus. Thats the small trailing one. Technically it is a perennial and can survive the winter in a very sheltered spot. But everyone grows it as an annual. The other Lobelias, such as L cardinalis and L syphalitica are about four feet tall. L syphalitica is extremely hardy, but L cardinalis is a bit borderline.

I dig my 'Queen Victoria' up every autumn and overwinter it in a cold frame. You can always split it in the autumn, and you can often split it again in the spring when it comes to replanting. But if you don't have the facilities to overwinter it, why not just leave it in the ground - winters are getting warmer.

9. elliegreenwellie

Ratings:
    +1
    Well yes they are getting warmer aside from that big freeze we had late feb. Sadly I had trimmed my fushias and some other plants just before it and have now lost some of them alas. strangely I have some petunia suferinas (probably not the right spelling) wich survived the whole winter and a trimming. I am going to put them in some fresh compost next weekend. Do you think they will be as good as last year?

10. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I am surprised your Surfinas survived the winter if they were outside. They must have been pretty sheltered or tougher than I imagined. As you are obviously aware Petunias are technically perennial. But as they are not hardy, they are invariably grown as annuals.

I did manage to get some Petunias to overwinter one year, but I don't think they did much the next year. I suspect that new young ones may do better. But the answer is to try it.

11. elliegreenwellie

Ratings:
    +1
    He Peter, yes I am amazed as I live in a cold and windy spot, all of my non hardy fuchias had made it as well, up until the late feb big freeze I mentioned (I have been lazy in emptyig my baskets). I will definately try the surfinas this year. - They are my favourite and it may save me a couple of pounds!

12. elliegreenwellie

Ratings:
    +1
    Well my stocks have all germinated really well. I'll have to remember to collect seeds again for next year!

I must remember to start a thread at the end of the summer about which seeds you can collect and how so that I can try to do some more.

Thanks EGW x

13. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Can't beat growing your own Ellie. I collected some seeds last year & you've remined me of them hanging in the garage (everything in the garage except the car [​IMG] )

I'm going to have a go at them this week, you've inspired me. I'll have a look at the packet if i still have it regarding the F1 bit.

cheers

14. elliegreenwellie

Ratings:
    +1
    Good luck Borrowers!

I save all my packets, never actually realised I might need them till now!