Growing various herbs?

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by khampson, Feb 17, 2008.

1. khampson

khampson Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am looking to grow my own herbs for cooking, I was thinking of getting say 15 or so large plastic plant pots and growing common hers to use in cooking, I was just going to grow them in my garden but not sure if this is the best way to do it, now I have seen herb planters but are expensive does, Am I doing the write thing here or can you give me any advice or tips, I have never grown herbs before so any pointers would be greatly welcome.

Regards Keith

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I grow herbs too. The following are in the garden now (or have done well out there in the past until I got bored of them):

* Rosemary (now about 6 years old)
    * Sage (about 5 years old)
    * Lemon Balm (about 3 years old and going strong)
    * Coriander (just grew for a couple of years, annual so you have to replant them)
    * Parsely - I had this for 2 years. I got bored of it as there is only so much parsely you can use.
    * Mint (Peppermint and Spearmint) - Both fine outdoors.

I also occasionally grow Basil. I keep that indoors because it seems to be the chef's special on the greenfly's menu.

3. Passion Flower

Passion Flower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I also grow herbs. Initially I made the mistake of buying lots of herbs thinking that I would use them all, but I didn't.
    Think seriously about which herbs you would use.
    The main ones I grow now are:
    Basil
    Mint ... lots of varieties out there to choose from!
    Rosemary
    Chives
    Parsley
    Coriander
    All of which I use in cooking or salads.
    I grow these in rectangle terracotta pot but keep an eye on the mint as it spreads "big-time!"

4. Passion Flower

Passion Flower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, I really forgot ... another herb I grow is Sage - very nice!

5. high kype

high kype Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks all i would like to grow some herds now i no what to get thanks again can i grow them in pots

6. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    In my experience, all the herbs listed in this thread will do OK in pots, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind:

* Parsely has really deep roots. Try to find it a nice deep pot if you can.

* Rosemary needs good drainage. It does great in a large container with about two inches of gravel in the bottom.

* Sage will grow as bushy as you let it. It is my personal favourite. Give it a nice big container if it's not going in the ground. It seems to like being well fed and watered (but don't over water it). If you intend to let it flower (as I do), cut off the flower stalks as soon as they start to die off. That way you get loads more in their place, and although some herbs lose their flavour after flowering, this doesn't seem to be the case with sage.

* Basil - Keep an eye out for aphids. They seem to love basil, especially grown indoors where there are no natural predators to control their numbers. I trick my neighbour taught me is to mix some washing up liquid with water and spray the leaves with it.

7. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I grow herbs too. Used to sell seedlings for basil and corriander on ebay, a couple of years ago but it was too labour intensive for the small profit.

Last year i sowed mint, and thats picking up again after a winter in the cold frame. Just sowed parsley this weekend, but i need to get some more. I reckon i'll get
    * basil
    * corriander
    * sage

I tried germinating rosemary before, but was unsuccessful. Has anyone tips on that? I've read on the net its quite fussy too.

8. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    I tried rosemary a few times from seed with little or no success. A friend gave me a bush several years ago and it thrived until last year when I moved it again. Had to cut it right back to get rid of the deadwood. Seems to have picked up again now though.

9. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Rosemary is dead easy from spur cuttings but near impossible from seed. After a few years it gets woody and straggly so I just take a cutting and re-start it. It's not all that fussy NG but does like a sunny spot. If you want me to start you a cutting then PM me (should be with you by mid-summer). It's wonderful with lamb, chicken and meaty fish.

10. THE MASTER

THE MASTER Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  11. THE MASTER

THE MASTER Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i can also pull out a few others like
    camberwick greeen
    trumpton
    the wooden tops
    magic round about
    play school
    blue peter
    magpie
    rhubarb and custard
    andy pandy
    pinky and perky.

muffin the mule is to old for me to remember but i can sorta remember it .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cX07V4iwBM

:D

12. Beechleaf

Beechleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Does no one use thyme?
    Thyme likes it warm and dry. It will easily grow in a pot, and has nice flowers. There are many varieties, most of which are intended for decorative purposes, but I think they are all edible. Not sure about growing it from seed. It doesn't seem to set seed, but small plants are easy to get.

13. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Although I have a dedicated herb border along our front path I have to admit I don't use any of them for eating there's far too many cats about for that although I'm doing some herbs baskets soon so no fear of cats getting at them.

The herb border isn't a lost cause as its an ideal place for the little ones to play touch and smell with the plants and it's nice to hear them tell you what the herbs smell of.Hel.xxx

14. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Is that before the cats or after Helen?:eek::D

15. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thankfully the cats can no longer get into the borders John so the little'uns can pick and smell the herbs without any lingering cat odors or Mister Whippy's for that matter!:D Hel.xxx.