Guinea Pigs

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Passion Flower, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Passion Flower

Passion Flower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone else own and love guinea pigs like I do?

I have kept guinea pigs for over 15 years, bred and shown them (well my daughters did in the pet section).

I currently have eight little piggies, one of which is an old man of nearly 5 years old and pretty poorly at the moment, but I think a little bit of tlc will keep him going.
    They are superb pets for children, never bite, sometimes cocky and sometimes shy but don't they eat!!! ... like all the time! [​IMG]

2. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    guinea pigs are very reserved and lovely little things

3. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi PF Here are a couple of photos of Punkey and Mabel who I took on last year from a family who could no longer care for them.They are quiet a character and if I take one away from the other then the one left soon starts complaining...

Here Is Mabel.. [​IMG]
    Then Punkey..
    [​IMG]
    And then both of them together..
    [​IMG]
    They also have a hutch that they sometimes live in and then there is a run with sleeping quarters on the end of it,but I always put them away at night in the summer.They are also great lawn mowers noshing the grass throughout the summer.I ought to hire them out as lawn carers :cool:

4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    I remember JarBax having Guinea pigs. Where are you J? [​IMG]

5. Passion Flower

Passion Flower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Punkey and Mabel look lovely.
    My piggies live in hutches but also in a shed of their own! :cool:
    Last Saturday I was out on a main road by traffic lights trying to catch a stray guinea pig ... pretty embarrassing as everyone stopping at the lights looked at me as though I was mad.

Yeap, guess I was mad - I was out and about without wearing any make-up!!! :eek:

Couldn't catch it unfortunately and when I knocked on the nearby house, he just said "oh, is it back again? It comes and goes."

6. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Passion Flower - any chance of some photos of your crew?!

Sorry to hear your male is not doing so well - what is he having probs with?

Well done for doing your Piggy-Road-Rescue thing - I wish more people were as considerate to help animals on the road!

Nice one!

I have never owned any myself but they are delightful little characters. I once stuck a prolapsed uterus back into one and it went on and thrived for years afterwards. I didn't honestly think it was going to make it. Hardy little things, but we saw a lot of teeth troubles sadly.

KF your two are fab!

[ 29. March 2008, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Cookie Monster ]

7. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    My piggies live in the greenhouse but at the moment they are in the shed part with the door open so that they get the light come in from the greenhouse part and the window in the shed.They usually live on the staging in the greenhouse but I had to move them last weekend because my seedlings were looking for a home.They have a heater in there so have it nice and cosy.It is true though they seem to eat for England and it is costing us a small fortune in fresh vegetables.I couldn't grow any last year because of health and weather problems so I am making up for it this year. [​IMG]
    I dare not let ours roam free because our two cats would have them for breakfast.In the summer the cats spend lots of time with their paws through the holes in the wire up to their shoulders trying to grab the pigs.

Love your story about running around with no make up on [​IMG] :D

8. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Thanks Cookie,we posted nearly at the same time [​IMG]

9. Passion Flower

Passion Flower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    First photos that I have posted on here, so here goes and fingers crossed!

[​IMG]
    One of my hand-reared babies from a year or so ago when mum wouldn't feed him!

Now two lovely sisters ...

[​IMG]

10. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    They are lovely PF really sweet,Thank you for sharing them with us [​IMG] [​IMG] :cool:

11. Passion Flower

Passion Flower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kandyfloss ... they are cute, ain't they?

I think I may have got the hang of posting photos on here already! ... yippee!!

12. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    look at them, awww.

I've never kept them but hear they are great little pets. I think they need attention like any other animal.

A couple of years ago i was staying with 'someone' & was there for 10 days. One day they said to me will you hold '?', the hamster, cos i'm going to clean his cage. I didn't even know they had one. Hadn't seen it, heard it, wasn't talked about!!

It was such i skinny little thing, i know they can be small, & i felt so sad that in nearly 2 weeks no one had paid any attention to it. I certainly would have done if i had known.

Can't see that being a problem with any of you :D I'm glad to say.

PF, well done for posting pics. Took me ages & had to get help. More photo's everyone.

cheers

13. linzibean

linzibean Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We currently have three piggies,

Padme (we took her heavily pregnant from a pet shop near us, poor thing was practically only a baby herself! Her two sons went to a nice lady not far from us, but we've kept her)

[​IMG]

Kaylee (a real madam! She's the most friendly and tame, but trimming her nails is a mammoth task as she will bite and wriggle as if we were tryign to kill her!)

[​IMG]

Pris (daughter of Kaylee, we kept her as she only has three legs! She is much bigger than this now, almost fully grown)

[​IMG]

We recently lost our lovely neutered boy Bowie :( He was only 2 years old and deteriorated badly after he had an ear abcess.

14. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Lovely pics Linzi, sorry to hear about Bowie. It's always hard to lose a pet, isn't it?

Your guineas look so sweet.

cheers

15. Passion Flower

Passion Flower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone ... I think guinea pigs are lovely and they will always have a place in my heart.

My old man, Joey, will be going back to the vet tomorrow [​IMG] . He just isn't eating much apart from tomato and cucumber ... anything soft really which isn't helping his digestion or teeth!