guzmania advice

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Janet mahay, Aug 24, 2022.

1. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +614
    Hi a freind bought me a Bromeliad plant its a guzmania in March last year i put it in the varanda it was a lovely red flower at first i thought it was plastic cause it bloomed all winter for at least 11/12 months i looked up some info on it and it said they bloom for 4 to 6 months so i was fortunate it lasted weli but it made me smile when i read the off shoots are called pups .
    As you see from the pic the mother plant has grown pups i read about the plant but i also wonted to ask someone who actually grown this plant for advice
    Would it be ok if i left the pups to grow with the mother plant or do i have to separate them and plant them each in seperate pot? If i need to separate whats the best way take it out of the pot turn it upside down and cut carefully .? Do i need to put each pup in rooting powder before i pot it? Could i kill the plant and pups if i cut it wrong? Any advice would be helpful

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    Not grown Guzmania but have grown other bromeliads.
    You can leave it without removing the pups but I it might become a bit of a jungle.
    Best if you leave it long enough for each pup to be separated with at least some root.

3. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +614
  4. Esoxlucius

Esoxlucius Gardener

Ratings:
    +279
    I got a "guzmania" in full bloom at the weekend. It was a bit of an impulse buy so I researched it when I got home. Apparently mum dies after flowering, but not before she's produced pups, which is how the plant keeps going. The pups need to be quite well formed before you cut them out.

I didn't notice at first but mine is pushing three tiny pups out now. There are lots of tutorials on you tube showing you what to do. I've noticed this thread is a couple of months old, how did you get on with separating your young pups @Janet mahay?

5. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +614
    Hi Esoxlucius the mother plant was dying it was slowly going brown so i thought i have to separate two pups from mom and just leave the smaller pup with mom till it gets a bit bigger so i slowly turned the pot upside down and carefully removed the soil till eventually i saw one pup attach to mom i carefully cut it off mom and put it in a pot and compost making sure i left a space at the bottom i did the same with the other one i did it over a week ago and they seem ok but read it can take up to 3 years to grow so i keep you informed.
    as regards the mother plant i carefully repotted her with her pup gave her some water she seems not too bad but each day she going brown but the pup getting bigger and greener, i did not look at you tube as i already repotted them before i seen your message but i take a look thanks.