Hairy caterpillars

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by lil-lisa, Mar 27, 2005.

1. lil-lisa

lil-lisa Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, having moved into a new house last summer our back yard was inundated with black and yellow hairy caterpillars which came from our neighbours trees and they ate everything i planted before going into a pupae and glueing together all the buds on my flowers before turning into small brown moths. I'd like to try and avoid this happening this year. Has anyone got any advice on how we can get rid of them please?

2. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    Apart from spraying everything with something really toxic the only thing I can suggest is start feeding the birds. Once the message gets out that your garden is a food source all year round they should help themselves to a hairy hors-d'oeuvre. Just remember that they will come to rely on the food source you supply especially in the winter.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    Dont know much about what types of caterpillars bids eat, but do they eat the hairy kind revin?
    I'd go for something a bit toxic i'm afraid ;)

4. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Pete, Do you work for Monsanto???!! :D

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    I dont think it showed, but I was a bit hesitant when I wrote that.
    No I dont work for Monsanto, but I do spend a lot of my time cutting up the worlds forests, in a way.

6. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Not gonna fall for that one. I'm sure lots of the wood you use is from sustainable resources ;)

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    F.S.C they call it. Dont believe a word of it.
    Just a way of selling timber no one else wants.
    F s C Forest Stewardship Council I believe

[ March 28, 2005, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: pete2255 ]

8. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  9. lil-lisa

lil-lisa Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your help and the link-- unfortunately I can;t go for the birds idea as there are too many cats where i live and i wouldn't want the birds to become cat food. Looks like its going to have to be something toxic.

10. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    How big are the neighbours trees? What kind are they? The toxic approach is unlikely to be effective unless you can reach the top of the tree. Unless Pete has a crop spraying aeroplane that he can spare im not sure how to do it. [​IMG]

Do you have access to any small ish children that could help you collect as many of the beasts as you can. You could then murder them in a bucket of water, once the kids have gone to avoid nightmares :eek:

11. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    Its a pity we cant identify what type of caterpillar it is. Doesn't sound like anything I've ever come across, not in large quantities anyway.
    I know some of the hairy ones can cause skin irritation if you come in contact with them.

12. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Lil Lisa

It may have been a one off "plague" type thing. It might be an idea to monitor numbers i.e. watch for any increase + look for eggs on leaves. You could try blasting them with a hosepipe! I wouldn't worry unless you see them again. Also you could try contacting your local conservation organisation, or council, as they may have ideas as to what they were & the likelihood of them re-appearing this year.

13. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have seen a caterpillar type of object on my mother in laws top lip...should I spray it or hit it with a mallet? :eek:

14. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This is one case where chemical intervention may be best. :rolleyes: Unless you really feel that the mallet is the best option. :D

15. wineandchoc

wineandchoc Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ma in law ...............go for the mallet - second thoughts, how about an axe 'just to be on the safe side'