Half pint peas

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by KarolinaW, May 20, 2024.

1. KarolinaW

KarolinaW Gardener

Ratings:
    +19
    My first time growing peas and it's not looking good. They're not growing very well at all, and some leaves are getting yellow. I transplanted them around 1,5 week ago to a raised bed.
    It's been quite dry and warm recently (between 17-23 degrees during the day), so I'm wondering if I don't water enough? Too much sun? Please help!
    IMG_5349.jpg IMG_5350.jpg IMG_5351.jpg

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,957
    They look OK to me, they need to settle in after being planted outside, then as their roots grow so will the tops. Did you harden them off?

• Like Like x 1
    • KarolinaW

KarolinaW Gardener

Ratings:
      +19
      Yes, but probably not long enough (about a week). Fingers crossed, thank you:)

• infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
      Ratings:
      +1,154
      They dont look bad, hungry maybe. Liquid feed mixed with water. the tops look better than the lower leaves so there's hope.
      I think maybe that these were sow too early/allowed to develop too far before planting out.
      I sow into 1metre lengths of scrap plastic gutter (available to collect from skips nationwide) When they are 25mm-40mm tall, soak compost thoroughly and then form a gutter shaped channel in the bed. Tip gutter at 40 degrees starting at one end of channel and they will slide out as you move along, a bit like toothpaste from a tube (dont squeeze !)
      You can space them by varying the speed you move while tipping. Then stand up any that have flopped and firm gently with a rake or similar. Would only water then if no rain for a week.
      Insert twiggy sticks to support, size according to variety/height.
      You may need to protect them/the crop from pigeons, sparrows, jays and slugs/snails of course
      Plenty of time to sow more. a sucession is better than a single harvest.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1