hallo to all, from an old newbie

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Ambersparkle, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Ambersparkle

Ambersparkle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,
    pleased to meet you all. I am a disabled Gardener, that is through age and arthritas, also have an artificial joint in my right arm, so can,t do anything heavy, but I do love my garden.
    I have just moved, the lady who lived here before, was ninety five, so the garden is pretty neglected. Lots of very old Rose tree,s which need to be dug out, and this means that I won,t be able to have Roses in the Garden, as u can,t put new Roses where old have been.
    Also the back Garden does not get the Sun, I am hoping that in the summer, when the Sun is higher, it will be better, but at the moment, when u can hardly sit at the front window, thre is still frost on the grass at the back, a bit daunting, when I want to have a small Greenhouse out back.
    I wanted to ask, does anyone have a shady back garden , and what sort of plants should I be looking at, for planting in the Spring?
    hoping to get some ideas, love Tina

2. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    Tina,

What kind of plants do you like?

Nathan.

3. Ambersparkle

Ambersparkle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hallo Nathan,
    I like everything, but especially Fuchsias.
    I do have plans for the Garden, as want to grow some veggies as well, and have bought a couple of Goosberry Bushes, which weather permitting I hope to get in soon. The trouble is, being 74, and disabled, I am dependent on the kindness of others a lot, and need the old Rose Trees dug out, as tried to dig one out, no can do, the roots go straight to Oz!

4. valmoongate

valmoongate Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a very shady patch which is my favourite place of all. Certain fuschias will most certainly grow.Shrubs - Mahonia,Sarcococca(the most delightful scent rightnow),Fatsia,magnolia, some ferns are also worth considering. Try Graham Stuart Thomas " The Art of Planting".In fact try anything you fancy and have fun!

5. valmoongate

valmoongate Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    could go on! Plants I have (survived) in my quite shady patch ,under Yew and Firs:-Hosta,viola labridolica,euphorbia,bamboo,Arum pictum,Iris foetidissima,euonymus,Aucuba,Bergenia,Alchemilla mollis,Begonia,Rosa rugossa,Helleborous Orientalis and Foetidissimus(plants I wouldn`t be without at this time of year)primulas,some grasses,woodruff,symphytum,lamium(silver leaf).Loads more -when I give it more thought!