hard pruned my privet in mid september

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by bigpeter, Sep 21, 2023.

1. bigpeter

bigpeter Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi folks, I had a hedge consisting of 7 leylandii, one large privet and a few elders, it looked very scruffy, the leyladii's were half dead so I pulled the leylandii's and cut back hard the privet and elders. I have planted privets all along where the leylandii's were. I am wondering if I cut back the privet at the wrong time? Will it grow back? I did this last week on the 14th. I have left a few leaves on a few puny branches. The elders are sprouting already after only 7 days.

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,328
    Hi, it would help us to give advice if we have an idea of whereabouts in the country you are :)

3. bigpeter

bigpeter Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm located Southend on sea, Essex.

4. suepp

suepp Gardener

retired, then self employed
    Ratings:
    +34
    It might be more difficult to get the new privets growing unless you removed the leylandiis completely and replenished the soil. Privet will return well after cutting back so I think your first one will be fine, unless the soil isn't good enough and it's too dry. I'm sure it'll be fine when wetter weather arrives for winter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +15,328
      You should be OK to give all the privet some blood, fish and bone and to water if there's no rain. BFB is a gentle, slow release fertiliser which shouldn't cause lots of soft new growth which might get hammered by icy winds or frosts.

• Like Like x 1