Hardening off seedlings - queries about some that I have

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TheMadHedger, May 4, 2016.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +246
    I have a few seedlings on the go right now, indoors, in trays with individual cells.

They are: Cosmos, Cornflower and Nasturtium.

Both the Cosmos and Cornflower are just developing their first proper set of leaves (besides the cotyledons) and most of the Nasturtiums have been on their first set of leaves for about a week or two now with the second set developing.

When should I start to leave these out for the day to harden them off, and how long should I harden them off for before planting in the garden?

Thanks

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,968
    I'm putting mine outdoors all day at the moment because there is much better light than leaving them on a windowsill. Mine are at the same stage as yours, some have their first true leaves. It's as much about getting them bigger as well as hardening them off before planting out. I would wait till they have 3 or 4 sets of true leaves and all chance of frost has gone before planting out.

3. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +246
    Many thanks for the tips. :)