Hardening off?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by daisybelle, May 26, 2018.

1. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    So I get the concept and I know how to do it. Just unsure on all the situations when I need to do it. Seedlings grown indoors/under glass, yes. But what about these 2 situations?
    Clematis bought from shop where it was kept inside? No idea how it was kept before then.
    Plug plants, one put outside straight away, doing fine. Others in pots in greenhouse for about 3 weeks, now I’d like to put them outside.
    So I guess, both hardy plants that've spent some time indoors. Do they need hardening off, or can they go straight out?

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,062
    Well hardening off is something that should always be considered.
    However, we are now reaching a time when greenhouses are practically open all day, as the weather is warm.
    It is pleasant outside much of the time now, so yes be a bit careful about acclimatization but it is slightly less important as we move into summer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,291
      Hi,

Probably the biggest danger this time of year is moving shop indoor or greenhouse plants outside where they can catch too much sunshine which can scorch any tender plant, so always place any such tender plants into semi shade to start with.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Most plants grown indoors need to be acclimatised to the world outside before planting out and regardless of the time of year I think. A sheltered corner out of direct sun for example would suffice right now :)

• daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
        Ratings:
        +48
        Thanks :snorky: Just on day 6 of hardening off some seedlings grown indoors. They had to stay out for a night eventually, I just hadn’t planned on it being last night-ooops!:huh:

• Funny Funny x 1