hardwood chips and conifers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pistolpete, Jun 13, 2011.

1. pistolpete

pistolpete Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have a number of conifers in front of my house, i only planted them 3 or 4 months ago they range from 30cm to 200cm

the border they sit in looks quite messy and i have to weed it every other week, i'd like to smarten up the border by covering the soil with hardwood chips

will this be ok for the conifers?

I water them every other day by spraying the soil with a hosepipe, when the wood chips are down how do i water the conifers? is it just a case of soaking the chips and the water will soak through?

pete

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,886
    The simple answer to that Pete, is yes. :)

3. pistolpete

pistolpete Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    thanks sheal :)

put two bags down last night really smartened up the border, only problem is i went for terracotta coloured chips, looked great in the shop not so great when next to the green lawn :( hoping they'll tone down over time

4. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi they should tone down I wiould also leave a good six inch gap around the conifers as this will help with the watering as well

Spruce