Hardy Fuchsia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sussexgardener, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Need a recommendation for one to go in a new border I am planning. There seem to be plenty around, some hardy, some borderline, but wondered if anyone has one they can recommend?

I would prefer one with the red/purple flowers if possible!

2. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    ... See what your local nursery has to recommend, but not until spring!

3. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I've got "Blue Gown" growing quite happily in a big pot and it stayed out all last winter. Definitely hardy down here in the Test Valley.

Loads and loads of purple and cerise flowers. It's just started another major flush of new buds right now.

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Depends what size you want SussexGardener. Fuchsia Magellanica is truly hardy, does red and purple flowers all summer long but grows big. It can be a shrub or a hedge but can be pruned down to whatever size you want it. I love it.

5. NeilC

NeilC Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought 6 "hardy" fuchsias last year from my garden centre. Not one survived.

6. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    A couple that have been in my garden for years and have survived well are "dollar princess" and "delta sarah"