Hardy Fushias

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by prettypolly, Apr 6, 2013.

1. prettypolly

prettypolly Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hello,
    I have Hardy Fushias in my front garden, they are all ready to be pruned down, as I normally do every year, but am worried about doing them yet as it is still so cold and I don't want to kill them, just wondering if anyone can advise best time to do this please. I am in S.E London and the temp is around -0 at night, seems to be 8 today.
    Thank-you.

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi
    Have they started to show any new growth yet , you could prune and put some fleece over them at night time if you can ? mine always have new growth coming out of the soil as well.

Spruce

3. prettypolly

prettypolly Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I can not see any new growth but they are about 3 foot tall now I just don't want to lose any of them I have about 7 of them , cannot see any in the soil either. Thanks I will try that with the fleece

• Like Like x 1
    • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,834
      Hi PP,
      Hardy Fuchsias down South here should be able to cope from here on in. Which way do they face? Mine are North facing and are still dormant but I cut them down 3 weeks ago.
      Jenny

• prettypolly

prettypolly Gardener

Ratings:
      +12
      Hello Jenny,
      Yes mine are North too, I took the plunge today and cut them down, so fingers crossed that they will be OK :thumbsup:

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
      Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
      Ratings:
      +11,493
      I just love this plant. When I was touring Washington State and Oregon they were every where. The zone in these two states are perfect for this plant. My area, forget it.

• trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
      +281
      I have 2 hardy fuchsias and I live in Wiltshire. As yet no sign of growth but it has been cold so not worried. Mine were 4 feet tall and cut them down to about 18" just to tidy them up yesterday. Eventually I will cut them a lot lower but as mentioned got to be wary about cutting them right down at the moment because of frost. I personally always wait until I see buds low down and they start to grow before cutting down. If this warmer weather continues it will not be long before you see some action.

• prettypolly

prettypolly Gardener

Ratings:
      +12
      Yes Redstar, they are very pretty, I have the red and pink ones, they produce a lot of flowers and colour, my friend is going to get me some different colour ones, will just have to find some space for them :-)

• prettypolly

prettypolly Gardener

Ratings:
      +12

That's what I was worried about if I cut them to early they might die, I have had them 8-9 years now and it would be a shame to lose them, I have 7 in my front garden and 1 in a large pot in the back garden (which is my profile pic) :biggrin:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      I don't think cutting them down will make any difference, the new growth will come from the bottom. The stumps of the old growth can provide a bit of protection, but I think the real risk is after the new growth has appeared if we then get some sharp frosts - in which case I would suggest that you put fleece over them, or straw / grass clippings [but not if treated with selective weedkiller or "Weed and Feed"]

• prettypolly

prettypolly Gardener

Ratings:
      +12
      Yes well hopefully the cold snap will not come back now and things will be OK, I have some straw that I can put around though if I need too, Thanks Kristen :smile:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      Signs are still not good, so best to be preparing for the worst, and be ready to mollycoddle them, whilst hoping for the best :)