Hardy Geraniums

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Hornbeam, May 15, 2006.

1. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The first hardy geraniums are coming into flower now. Flower sizes vary but are up to an inch and a half in diameter. They repeat flower all summer and are never a nuisance. The only attention they need is an organic mulch and a tidy up of their leaves in the autumn. SLUGS hate them!

The first to flower is Mayflower:
    [​IMG]

This is Claridge Druce - the ultimate slug deterrent. With glossy green leaves all year round, it provides dense ground cover and these stunning flowers. Easy to grow in deepest shade as well as sunny hot spots. What more could you want?
    [​IMG]

This is one of the geranium macrorhizzums - probably Bevan's Variety. They form a mat of rhizoms on the surface which can be broken off and poked into the ground anywhere. Great for growing on very poor soil under trees, but in richer soil they really show their fireworks!
    [​IMG]

And this is our own common wild variety - the Meadow Cranebill. You find it in great swathes in hedgerows - mainly where there is limestone. Surely one of our loveliest wildflowers.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to photograph each variety as it comes into flower this year - and then drool over them during the dark days of winter.

2. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Stunning!!!!!! I have one variety in the garden - I have been promising myself some other ones in the new beds.... an absolute must now - epecially after your post regarding the slugs!!!! You take fantastic photos too!

3. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Fantastic geraniums Hornbeam, reliable and beautiful. I still have some pink and purple varieties but no pics to show. I used to grow the hardy pinks in the lawn and mow over them after the may flowering. They still regrouped to repeat flower long into september. Great plants!

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Lovely pictures Hornbeam - to add to your geraniums: -

Geranium Sanguinium
    [​IMG]
    Geranium Renardii
    [​IMG]
    Geranium Ibericum
    [​IMG]
    Geranium Psilostemon
    [​IMG]
    Geranium Pratense
    [​IMG]
    and lastly as rather less than robust plant
    Geranium "Buxton Blue"
    [​IMG]

5. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Lovely Fran! Yes, Buxton Blue is not so tough and I can't keep it. I also lost G. renardii with its lovely soft leaves. G. sanguineum is the Bloody Cranesbill and a native of northern Britain, but it lives happily with me. There are some gorgeous alpines too.

More and more, the plant breeders are producing ever larger and more colourful varieties, but that doesn't turn me on. I like the natural varieties and its a real thrill to be able to grow wild geraniums from all over the world.

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Lovely pictures Hornbeam and Fran. When I moved into my house there was an unknown tall blue variety that flowered for just two weeks, then did nothing. That put me off them. But since I have acquired Ann Folkard, Patricia, and Rozanne all of which flower almost continuously.

The RHS trial below compares some others. Beware it is a PDF file. http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/documents/geraniumstage22005.pdf

7. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that link PeterS - most informative!

"When in doubt - plant a geranium" - Margery Fish

Author of: An All the Year Garden, Gardening in the Shade, Cottage Garden Flowers, We made a Garden, Ground Cover Plants, A Flower for Every Day, Carefree Gardening, Gardening on Clay and Lime, Stream and Woodland etc

8. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    PeterS Thank you for the geranium Link very informative, I am fortunate in having an ivitation to Chelsea this year Daughters treat...
    shall try to locate some of these varieties I just have one blue one they are very tolerant of poor soil was much impressed by what I thought was dead last month is now in full flower :D

9. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I have at ray of these growing from seed in my daughter's garden, at least 5 different colours, but may have interbred -I hope some of them will look like these! [​IMG]

10. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    AHAa ....inter breeding that is something I know about Liz mainly canine... but it can produce fantastic results. or the other :( :(

11. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I don't know if you know of Bob Brown - Cotswold Garden Flowers.

http://www.cgf.net/plants.php?genus=GERANIUM&cultivar=%27DUSKY+CRUG%27

What I like about him is that he rates many plants on a scale of 1 to 10. Purely personal of course, but I am willing to listen to anyone who has a won gold medals at Chelsea. I got my Geraniums from him, based purely on the scores that he gave them. And I have been absolutely delighted. I also bought Dusky Crug late last year, which he gives 10/10. It didn't flower last year, so I am waiting to see how it turns out.

12. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that link. No I haven't come across him before.

13. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  14. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Great site Hornbeam - lovely photos.

15. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I posted this one before I know, but thought it was a good addition to the rest. the flower is insignificant though pretty enough, I use it for ground cover.

[​IMG]