Hardy Proteas?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Aesculus, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Can anyone recommend a Reasonably hardy Protea? it would be in a sheltered spot on the isle of wight so it wouldn't be too cold here,

Thanks in advance!:thumb:

2. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    I dont really know much about Proteas but know someone who does!! Check out his link HTUK thread on Protea's. Martin (Bodster) on that thread is one of the most experianced people when it comes to Proteas in the UK. There are quite a few other threads on Proteas on there if you do a search.

He is having a garden open day next weekend i think.

Gaz

3. Aesculus

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Thanks Gaz

Looking at that post was amazing, managing to get a king Protea to flower outside! that happened on the island maybe a couple weeks ago and it made the local paper, and he's only in southhampton (might be worth a trip...)

After reading through the thread I've decided on a Protea exima (or a king protea...ahh i cant decide) :P on ebay from the seller that bodster recommended

4. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    We are hoping to go to Madeira again in December, and they sell all these type of plants (bulbs etc) If anyone is interested, I would be willing to bring anything back if they have it for sale. Just PM me and I will see What i can do. 02

5. Aesculus

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Thanks very much Gaz is there nay chance that you have Martin's (aka. bodster's) email address? as that hardy tropicals forum wont let me login:mad::( Ive sent a message to the admin so hopefully he can find out why:confused:

I just wanted know the info about when he was opening his garden :D

6. Aesculus

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Well I've just had a look on the RHS plant finder on the off chance that I would get a better deal than off of eBay and I've found a nursery in east Sussex called Plantbase selling loads of types of Proteas at very cheap prices! you can pickup a 4ltr pot King protea for only £10.00!! thats cheaper than off eBay for a 2ltr pot one although I have no idea about how expensive it will be to get to the isle of wight!

7. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Im sorry but i dont have an email address for him, if you cant log in after a day or so i can send him a message on hardy tropicals for you.:cool:

There are some details on this thread HTUK meet

Gaz