Hardy winter plants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by SimonZ, Nov 11, 2011.

1. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    I work part of the week in a primary school and so far we have planted some heathers in the garden, and I would welcome advice on any other suitable plants for a garden area that is in places quite rocky. We are in a fairly rural part of Yorkshire and the field has little cover so I am expecting winter weather to be harsh. Other plants successfully growing, to indicate the type of land we have, include hollyhocks and sedum. I'm interested in either bulbs which will flower later (including spring flowering) and plants to be planted out now which will survive the winter. Thanks.

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Gosh, Simon, when it comes to bulbs to plant you've got such a choice. You could try:

Dwarf Alliums Ipheion
    Anemone Leucojum
    Camassia Muscari
    Chionodoxa Puschkinia
    Convallaria Scilla
    Crocus
    Crocoslmia [Mulch over]
    Cyclamen
    Eranthis
    Erythronium
    Galanthus

That should start you off:D:heehee:

3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    And for none-bulb stuff you can plant now that will be ok:

* Rosemary
    * Thyme
    * Lavender
    * Sage (officinalis - ie the common vareity, tough as old boots, the cultivars that I know of will struggle in the situation you describe)

All that's assuming you're not right at the top of Yorkshire, at the top of the Dales where the snow gates close the roads for winter?