Has anyone tried growing peas in a greenhouse?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by ChrisWhite, Apr 11, 2009.

1. ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i was just wondering has anyone ever tried growing peas in a greenhouse like myself. i do it every year and they always come beautifully but they never make it to the kitchen as i always eat them straight from the pod

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,925
    I've tried a few different veg in my greenhouse like potatoes and marrows and beans, but never peas. I find they all grow way too big and start to take over the greenhouse, with no room for the stuff that really needs the protection. Its not a bad idea though, I've got some potatoes in mine right now in containers, and will move them outside when the more tender stuff (toms/cucs) moves in there.

3. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,925
    I forgot - I do grow peas outdoors and we never cook them, they either get eaten as they are picked or we eat them raw with salads. I love mangetout the best - we eat the pods raw without having to shell them :)

4. ChrisWhite

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes they do get quite big but i always keep them in the greenhouse. i also have beetroot, carrots, sweetcorn and radishes.

5. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,925
    Carrots and radishes I've tried and have been good to get a quick crop early or late on in my cold greenhouse. Beetroot take a long time to grow, so I'd be interested to hear how you get on with those.

You might have trouble with your sweetcorn Chris, it might get too tall and you will have to hand pollinate the tassles (outdoors the wind will do that for you).

6. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Chris I have my growbag of peas in my greenhouse all planted up and was going to put my growbag outdoors but may take your method instead.

7. ChrisWhite

Ratings:
    +0
    you could always try some in the greenhouse and some outdoors and see which ones come up best