1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

has anyone used strulch?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Hannah's Rose Garden, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Hannah's Rose Garden

Hannah's Rose Garden Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,410
    Just wondering if anyone has used strulch as a mulch?
    I am a complete compost / mulch novice but if they are using it at Wisley and the Eden Project it must have some benefit? I have ordered a couple of bags for my rose garden to try but would be interested to know if anyone has used it with shrubs?

http://www.strulch.co.uk/what-is-strulch/

2. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    never used that , but interesting to know ...It`s unbelivable how much difference a good prepared soil will performe well on plants or manage to keep plants alive .

• Like Like x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,595
      I wish I had a head for business.

It seems to me that someone has composted some straw, giving it a fancy brand, and is now selling it for £8.20 per bag.

I like how it is made from 'wheat straw', as opposed to just straw. I guess that's because by specifying what type of straw it is, even if it is the most common type, adds maybe a couple of quid to the retail value.

If I owned a riding school or a livery stable, I'd gather up the used straw from the stable floors every other day, and stick it on a big pile. Then instead of pondering how on earth I'd get rid of my ever growing mound, I'd bag it up, give it a brand, and sell it for £8.20 per bag:)

• Like Like x 3
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Instead of Barley straw (or Oats / Rape / etc) perhaps?

Not sure it makes any difference, once composted, but maybe it does?

I think composted hay is amongst the best, but its full of grass seeds of course :(

I've put that in the bottom of trenches and then planted hedges and I think its helped - and I don't reckon many/any of the grass seeds have germinated from 12-18" down :)

• clueless1

Ratings:
        +19,595
        Fair point. I guess because until fairly recently, wheat was the local crop up our way. You hardly saw anything else growing (except spuds, which was our other local major crop) so I incorrectly just assumed that wheat straw was 'normal' straw:)

• Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
        Ratings:
        +3,035
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        If you market Snow.....some Eskimo will buy it.:heehee:

• Like Like x 3
        • jackie Whiteley

jackie Whiteley Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +4
          I own the company and you might be interested to know about Strulch. It was developed by my husband at Leeds University. It is a manufactured product with organic verification. It is not a compost. The patented process preserves the straw and turns it brown. It lasts on the surface for up to two years and does not rob nitrogen from the soil so plants stay healthy. It works by blocking out the light. It has a nuetral pH so it can be used anywhere in the garden and it has a slug and snail deterrant within it. The deterrant irritaes the slugs and snails. They don't eat it and so it doersn't enter the food chain. One 100 litre bags spreads 3 sq metres. All in all its excellent value and that is why The Eden project and the RHS use it. You can use other mulches but they wont compare with Strulch.

• Like Like x 1
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,046
            Hello Jackie and welcome to the forum :blue thumb:

• clueless1

Ratings:
            +19,595
            Hello and welcome Jackie.

Forgive my scepticism, but I have a couple of questions (I'm not out to cast doubt on the product, I just want to understand it).

If the straw is not composted, but is presumably shredded and by some process turned brown, then apart from the colour, how does it differ from just using straw? Also, straw rots. The more finely shredded it is, the faster it rots. I presume the patented process slows this down as shredded straw in contact with the soil wouldn't normally last anywhere near as long as 2 years. Without giving away patented manufacturing secrets, is there something that's been done to it to slow the rotting process down?

And now for a confession/apology/correction from me. Following the link above, I'd misread the page. When I made a point about it being £8.25 per bag, I'd misread how much was actually in the bag, getting it into my head it was 25 litres. Re-reading it, I see it is 150 litres per bag, which makes the £8.25 price tag far more reasonable.

• Like Like x 1
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Welcome to Gardeners Corner Jackie:sign0016:

Some interesting feedback there:dbgrtmb:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,541
              Welcome Jackie. :) You say it 'irritates' slugs and snails, this suggests to me it might have an effect on earthworms as well, has your husband researched this possibilty please.

• Like Like x 1
              • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,667
                If it is patented then the information about it will be [published] in the public domain, thus not secret. (The principle of a patent is that you publish the "method" in return for a monopoly, the intention being that it is for the betterment of science as others can read your innovation and then have their own brainwave - so long as it doesn't infringe your patent :) )

• Like Like x 1
                • Hannah's Rose Garden

Ratings:
                  +1,410
                  Jackie

Is it any good for roses please? Can u tell me what minerals are in it?

• Hannah's Rose Garden

Ratings:
                  +1,410
                  The strulch has arrived. It is very light isnt unplesant to handle it looks like chopped up straw and smells like vinegar to me. I will post a pic of bag later as it lists ingredients etc.