Have I killed this

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Jdm, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Jdm

Jdm Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys 2 years ago I put a raised rose bed around the trunk of a 20 year old flowering tree.( Soil membrane and bark) last year the leaves were a bit wrinkled bit it did flower. This year no buds no green under the bark and it the branches are grey. Dead or could I save it ?

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    If its doing nothing I would suggest it is probably dead.

I would have thought it was probably dying anyway, I dont think your raised bed would have killed it off that quickly.

3. Jdm

Jdm Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  4. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,571
    @Jdm
    Looks like it might have been a flowering cherry, these can be quite short lived. The lichen growing on it particularly in the last picture indicates that it has been growing slowly for some time. Lichen finds it easier to grow on slow growing parts of trees, so trunks and larger branches rather than new growth.
    I wouldn't have run the membrane/ bark right up to the trunk, but stopped 6" to 12" away.
    How deep is the raised bed and how far up the trunk did you put the membrane?

5. Jdm

Jdm Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Raised Was bed was about 12 inches high and covered trunk and some.surface roots the trunk was covered by about the same height

6. Jdm

Jdm Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Is it worth watering daily for next month to see if by removing the bed and exposure to light air and water it may recover ,?

7. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,571
    Covering the surface roots and the trunk to that depth won't have done it any favours; but I suspect it was on it's way out anyway.
    I doubt it I think last year was a final fling. I would remove the tree and continue the raised bed over that area.