Have you felt an earth tremor?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by compost maker, Feb 27, 2008.

1. compost maker

compost maker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Its 1am 27th in Morecambe Lancs and Im sat watching Clocking Off on my settee and it started shaking heavily for maybe 15 seconds. I thought something was going to explode. It must have been a tremor or oil is about to erupt under my patio. Has anyone else felt it?

2. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Bleeding hell Jean it was huge over here in Rotherham I thought it was only the Sheffield/Rotherham area!

Bob thought I had fell out of bed....very very scary! :eek: Hel.xxx.

3. Moonshine17c

Moonshine17c Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Felt one up my way a good few years ago. Was after midnight, lying in bed watching tv. Heard deep rumble lasted about 5 secs. Didnt have a clue and dismissed it till hearing on the news the following morning of tremors reported. Only ever experienced it once but the noise is planted in my mind

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    That was about the time me and mrs Walnut were making love but it lasted more than 15 seconds [​IMG] :D

5. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    :D :D We only have your word on that Walnut [​IMG] Hel.xxx.

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,823
    I was sitting in the lounge having a cuppa and reading when I felt the tremor. I told Mrs shiney about it early this morning (she was asleep in bed at 1 a.m. last night) and she said 'not another one!' We were in New Zealand a couple of months ago when there was a 7.8 earthquake that had the table and chairs moving whilst we had our dinner :eek: :mad: :D :D

7. Tim D

Tim D Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I didn't feel anything - too far away, but it is in the headlines on the BBC website (5.3 magnitude quake apparently!)

8. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I was woken up at 1 am my bed was shaking and the brass tops on the bedstead were rattling, i put the lamp on and saw i strange vibration at the bottom of my bed, I honestly thought i had been visited by a ghost, I was that frightened i kept my lamp on all night.
    I am on the north east coast, on a 3rd floor flat, just called my neighbour downstairs and she didnt feel anything.
    The winds here were teribble.

9. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    It woke us up and felt as though the bed was moving across the room and the whole house
    was shaking for about 20 seconds. Was pretty scary.

The last one I can remember was late 1950s when I was in the kitchen and a saucepan lid
    fell off the shelf but it was nothing near as strong as last night.

:eek:

10. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I have never experienced anything like that before jjordie, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me that was weird to see and feel, anyway my gas company will be pleased having to keep my lamp on all night :D :D :eek:

11. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    I had just put the light out, and was listening to the radio, when I heard rumbling then the whole house shook. I had to get out of bed to see if it was the wind, but the trees were absolutely still.

12. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yep my bed shook at a couple of minutes to 1. The last time it shook like that was in 1984 when the quake was in North Wales, then it realy shook a lot!!

13. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    just been on sky news on the web, uk has to watch out for after-shocks this morning

14. Juliasaurus

Juliasaurus Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Missed it myself, as did my brother in Durham, but my poor mum sat bolt upright in bed wondering what the hell it was, and the dog was rather nonplussed too! Mum thinks she woke at an aftershock at 4am in Nottingham.

I'm gutted because everyone in my family has experienced one except me (I missed the Melton Mowbray one in 2001 by two hours), and I'm the geologist! Yes, do watch out for aftershocks today - they can occasionally be stronger than the initial earthquake, although I doubt that'll happen in Blighty.

Safest place to stand if it starts up again is in a doorway (preferably an inside one!), but it'll only last 10-15 seconds.

Ooh Moonshine - you're a Longhorns fan! Excellent. I started following them in 2003 when I lived in the US and my two best friends were UT alumni.

15. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Juliasaurus I will ring you up next time we have one and will let you hear the roar of the noise it makes. :eek:

The whole of our house was shaking the cat scarpered and it was like the bed was moving around on a sea of jelley.That is the second we have experienced since living in this house and the third one we have witnessed :rolleyes:

Luckily we don't get them as bad as the other countries do and only one person was injured.They reckon per year the british Isles has the highest amount of Earthquakes per year but not sure if that is correct [​IMG]