Hawthorn Hedge.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by BrianT, Jan 15, 2006.

1. BrianT

BrianT Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I live in Ireland - but weather conditions are in general similar to UK.
    In 1999 I planted a hawthorn hedge along both sides of my back garden. There are about forty individual 'hedge units' along each side -and they have thrived & they have developed into a pleasant & integrated hedge.

There is only one problem and that is- they have never flowered in summer (or at any time).

Is there any reason why Hawthorns might not flower? I must admit that feeding has not been a priority -there is a heavy bark chipping carpet along the length of the hedge.

:(

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    www.gardenguides.com/herbs/hawthorne.htm
    Hi Brian.Trying to raise a couple myself but can't understand what's wrong with yours,sorry.I'm sure someone here will know and maybe this link will help... ;)

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,088
    Do you clip it Brian? If so you could be cutting off the flowering wood, or maybe its just not ready to flower yet.

4. BrianT

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.
    I clipped them back hard in 2000 and 2001 to try to strenghten the lower branches= - but not really since then.

When you say 'not ready' to flower - could it take over 5 years for the hedge to be ready to flower?

I have to admit I have very poor overall gardening knowledge -and if you told me that it can take 6 yrs or more for hawthorn to be ready to flower -then that would be a relief in one way.

Thanks again

Brian

[ 15. January 2006, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: BrianT ]

5. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Our back hawthorn hedge is now 10 years old aprrox and it has not flowered yet. It was cut back about 6 years ago. Perhaps it is a time thing?

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,088
    I've not got any real experience of hawthorn, but if you apply the usual rules, then most trees, (because thats what it is really), take a while to settle down and start to flower. If however you cut it back at some stage, it will then make vegative growth for a few years at the expense of flowers.
    Thats my guess anyway. [​IMG]

7. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I planted Hawthorn whips in 1992 as a background to my then wild flower garden. I have never pruned them other than taking out the odd wayward branch - and they didn't flower until 2002 and then sparingly - but have more than made up for it now - come May they are a mass of blooms. Any pruning is done after the berries have been taken by the birds.As I recall it flowers on old wood - but my memory may not be right.

Whilst you may have planted more establiched plants for your hedge - they may need a few more years to flower.

8. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    this is the standard farmers hedge in scotland, it can be laid to keep stock in or cut with circular saw to act as windbreak, it is not a great flowering hedge, in a garden it would be best mixed with other native species and grown for wildlife, to add interest to the mix think about hazel[filberts], blackthorn[sloes], guelder rose[viburnum],silver birch[catkins]beech[colour thru winter, holly, and maybe crab apple.
    to my mind you need to clip this hedge to keep it tidy and compact, this will discourage flowering of the hawthorn[otherwise known as May]!

9. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    or wait another 5 years and see if it flowers of its own accord!
    i don t think fertiliser will make much difference to be honest

10. BrianT

Ratings:
    +0
  11. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    BrianT, Your photos are a treat I wish my photography was as good. Your hedge will, as the above gardeners say, flower when it's more mature. I have lots of haw and black thorn and it appears to flower on tallish bushes.

What annoys me, hedge cutting just as it is about to give it's crop of food to our wildlife.

12. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi all, I have 4 blackthorn bushes grown from seed in the hope of eventually having my own sloes. :D Sloe gin or vodka! They are 4 years old and haven't flowered yet. Do I have to wait as well? :(

[ 18. January 2006, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Liz ]

13. BrianT

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes

Looks like it could be slow gin (-;

bt

14. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    :D :D :D :D
    I've found some bushes locally, will have to rely on those. I've already finished this years!

15. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hello Brian
    Your photos are fantastic!!! I'm sooooooo jealous as I can't take decent photos - no matter how hard I try!!!! I adore robins.....
    I was thining about putting in a hawthorn in my back garden for the wildlife, but am now tempted by blackthorn..... but then it would be a race to see who gets the sloes first - the birds or my gin!!! :D