hawthorne tree. red scarlet

Discussion in 'Trees' started by intermiplants, Sep 2, 2007.

1. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    hi ive got a hawthorne tree in my back garden and its about 10ft tall i think the name of it is called <red scarlet> its only a young tree its doing very well is it better left alone or would it be ok to cut it back a bit to encourage better and new growth.i would like it to be a little more compact but not doing anything with it till i get the right advice

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Probably called "pauls scarlet" wait until it has flowered next spring and then cut it back.

3. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    yep you was right walnut went garden cntr yesterday and found the same tree and it was called pauls scarlet. a very nice tree when it flowers [​IMG]

4. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Is that the same as the one I have?
    I never knew the name of this one [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    yep thats the one whis4ey could i be cheeky and ask you to take a pic of the whole tree when you get chance how old is yours? [​IMG]

6. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Not easy to get a pic of the whole tree as it is part of a woodland and I couldn't get far enough away to get it all in shot
    It is about 10 years old or so with me ... I wouldn't know how old it was when bought but it was a good 6 feet high at date of purchase

7. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    cheers whis4ey enjoyed looking at your site looks like a lot of hard work [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I would leave it alone, just cut any low branches or unnbalanced growth.

9. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    how tall can this hawthorne grow? ;)

10. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    up to 25' over time id say.

11. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
  12. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    [​IMG]

This was our Paul's Scarlet at about 5 years old. It was grafted onto a dwarf root stock. The flowers were a love red with white middles, not as double as the ones in your photo Whiskey. Sad to say the new owners dug it up and concreted over the garden :eek: :mad:

13. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I have a 'Paul's Scarlett' Hawthorn in my back garden. It was doing really well and putting on a lot of branch growth but last spring, when it was in full leaf and blossom, we had some devastating winds and it had become quite top-heavy and tragedy struck and it was bowled over. The roots had not appeared to make much inroads for anchorage in the soil.

Thankfully it has started to show new leaf again this spring, so we must have got it upright and re staked again in time. Sadly, I had to lop off an awful lot of the top growth to bring the tree more into proportion and reduce the top-heaviness, so it looks a bit mutilated at the mo. I hope it soon manages to recover, it is one of my favourite trees and looks truly spectacular in full blossom.

Here is an intersting link to the Hawthorn for all the druidly paganly people among us!

http://www.whitedragon.org.uk/articles/hawthorn.htm

[ 29. March 2008, 05:49 AM: Message edited by: Cookie Monster ]

14. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    celia, dug it up what a joke how lazy are some people, a really nice tree like that.C.M.thanks very much for the link, my trees is just starting to bud so shall show you how it gets on when it flowers in about two weeks ;)

15. Man Of Leisure MOL

Man Of Leisure MOL Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Its a gorgeous tree and be careful not to knock it back too far. Mine are 4 years old and a wonder in bloom.
    I once lived near HAWTHORN drive in Ipswich and that row of c 20 trees was fab.
    Good luck.