HAYFEVER

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Hannah's Rose Garden, May 4, 2013.

1. Hannah's Rose Garden

Hannah's Rose Garden Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,410
    After a trip to out of hours doc I have been told my little 3 year old has hayfever. she has what she describes as "burning eyes"and she is "trying to catch a breath" a cough and very runny nose. I am off to look at allergy uk website. But I am worried she is experiencing more symptoms and cant tell me.
    Anyone got a minute to describe what it feels like?
    I understand its worse this year?
    Anything I can do to help?
    Thank you

2. mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    Oh dear your daughter has my sympathies.
    I started with hay fever about 4 years ago and it's around now I get it the worst for a month or so. I think mine is tree pollen that's starts me off.
    I get constant sneezing and dry eyes.
    I take 1 tablet a day to help
    Sorry cant help you if you daughter can take any medication or not

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,352
      My top tips , is try and keep her bedroom pollen free , so keep all the windows closed , go hoover crazy and damp dusting , and just in case its dust mites put all her teddies etc in a plastic bag and put in the freezer for a couple of hours , and lastly tumble dry all her clothes dont put on the washing line .

Have you any pets ???

I have had the out of breath its not very nice, since I have re-started beekeeping and have honey at least 3 days out of 7 its practically stopped but it has to be locally produced so it contains all the local pollen's

Spruce

• Disagree Disagree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Hannah's Rose Garden

Ratings:
        +1,410
        Yes ive got pets. Thank you I will do that

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        • Like Like x 1
        • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,389
          Hi chimneyrosegarden - doctors/hospitals around here often prescribe "piriton" for a variety of allergies. I have used it a couple of times on my 11yo since she reacts with big swells to insect bites. I am unsure, though, whether it is suitable for a young girl such as yours, but you can call the chemist to confirm. Good luck and a hug to the little one.:doggieshmooze:

• Like Like x 1
          • Hannah's Rose Garden

Ratings:
            +1,410
            VEry helpful replies everyone thanks. She has manuka honey normally. I could do alternate days? How local does it have to be spruce? I wonder if they keep bees in st fagans museum? Thats about 3 miles away?

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +51,883
            I was terrible with hayfever as a kid - thankfully, I am not nearly as bad now, although I still get it occasionally. Little C also gets it, and we are both sitting here snivelling and rubbing eyes this morning.

You can get antihistamine syrup for kids now, Piriton being one of them, although some kids get on better taking a tablet (or half a tablet if that is the right dosage). Bear in mind that whilst one antihistamine will work wonders, another may be completely ineffective - the key is to find which one works and remember the active ingredient in it (cetrizine hydrochloride is the one that works best for me). Once you know the active ingredient, I would suggest wherever possible buying the Boots/supermarket own brand one as the brand names are an absolute con.

If Little Chimney's eyes get really itchy or burning (they will almost certainly go puffy too), a damp cold flannel placed over her eyes for ten minutes or so will help.

Avoid fans, as they only blow the pollen and dust about - having said that, consider air-con (even the portable ones are good, if a wee bit noisy) as they dehumidify the air at the same time as cooling it which seems to help.

She might get wheezy - calm, rest in a cool room and getting her to breathe slowly and deeply should help. If really bad, she might need a salbutamol inhaler to help, but I am not sure if a doc would prescribe it for a wee one.

If possible, try and discourage rubbing of eyes and nose, and avoid grass clippings etc (especially until you find if her allergy is specific to a certain trigger).

Oh, and a good play in a nice lukewarm bath, followed by ice cream or chocolate is prescribed - - no medical benefit whatsoever, but she will feel much better for it :biggrin:

Hope she feels better soon.

• Like Like x 3
            • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
              +12,352

They do keep bees at St Fagans , but Wally's in Cardiff sell local honey , its worth a try

http://www.wallysdeli.co.uk/

• Like Like x 1
              • Hannah's Rose Garden

Ratings:
                +1,410
              • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +2,389
                one thing worth remembering...pollen comes from spores after they germinate. There are several types of spores. Some germinate in dry warm weather, some in wet weather. Therefore you will notice the symptoms more when the spores your daughter is allergic to are around (give or take a few hours for them to thin their surface and release the pollen).