heated propergators

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by grinch, Apr 15, 2006.

1. grinch

grinch Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi does anyone know of a web site were i can get a good adjustable temp propergator try search but only found large expencive ones thanks

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    You could reduce the cost by building your own and just buying the soil heating cable and thermostat.
    All you need is a rectangular wooden framework lined with thick polythene with a removable glass or polycarb cover.
    Mine is made from an old plastic baker's bread tray for a base this is lined with polythene and has a 2 inch layer of sand covering the heating cable. On top of this sits the wooden frame which is covered with bubble wrap round the sides and has removable three glass panes on top.
    I'll be rebuilding it this summer, but it is now 20 years old and starting to rot.

4. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i seem to remember there were home made ones, heated with a lightbulb, which were popular, not sure how safe the idea is tho, water plus electricity etc

5. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    An aquarium heater(cheap 50w-100w)with an adjustable stat would be much safer and economical to run.

A shallow plastic tub with a lid (to recycle condensation) partially filled with water provides adjustable bottom heat for trays parked on top.

Insulate the bottom and sides of the tub with polystyrene sheet and incorporate a small float valve for auto topup, so the water level stays constant.

Pretty simple to make and shouldn`t cost a lot.