Heather Calluna vulgaris

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by NewYorkshireGardener2024, Sep 19, 2024 at 12:14 PM.

1. NewYorkshireGardener2024

NewYorkshireGardener2024 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have recently bought x6 pots of heather (unplanned and unprepared) from my local nurseries while purchasing some Olive trees. I am admittedly a gardening amateur so please be gentle with me :).

Essentially I was unable to plant the heather until 2 weeks after purchasing. After this time 3 of the heathers from the pot looked to be doing quite well and and since being planted have filled out a bit from the pot and look quite happy. The other 3 at the time of me planting from the pot looked to have deteriorated but I thought I would plant them anyway to give them a chance.

Essentially since planting around 1-2 weeks ago they do not seem to have improved (photos attached). Are these heathers still alive and can still thrive or is it best to give up and take them out? On some of the heathers the foliage is quite brown. Does brown foliage and brown base mean the heather is no longer alive?

To confirm this is what they looked like at the time of me planting them (they did look fine at the garden centre but were left for 2 weeks while I could plant them).

They are currently planted in acidic soil (pH6 ish assuming my soils tester correct) and also have near full sun. Added sand for better draining etc. and used ericaceous compost to try and help them along.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    The foliage under the flowers still looks green on some of them, so I'd leave, and see what happens.

3. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,971
    They will benefit from regular watering to get established. Keep the soil moist but not waterlogged. You have a good mulch there to keep the moisture in :fingers crossed:.