heathers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by plantaholic, Aug 31, 2007.

1. plantaholic

plantaholic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I recently watched an old Gardeners World and good old Alan Titchmarsh showed how to make an effective trough planted with 3 or 4 different coloured heathers. My heathers are flowering now in the garden and it's made me think I'd like to copy the idea..but can I split heathers or take cuttings??

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,642
    You can take cuttings, but they take a year or two before they make reasonable sized plants.
    Splitting is not really viable unless you have a large plant that has rooted as it sread across the ground, they do sometimes do this.
    I find they are pretty cheap to buy, so tend not to bother too much these days. [​IMG]

3. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I was just looking at some heathers yesterday in a local garden centre and I must say that they are really pretty.

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Just Bought this planter at morrisons with a heather in thought you may like to see
    [​IMG]

5. Charles Ashworth

Charles Ashworth Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Heathers can be raised from semi-ripe cuttings, layering, seed (Species Erica terminalis, Calluna vulgaris) and dropping. If you want further details just let me know.

To your growing success
    Charles Ashworth