Heavy clay soil

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by manrow, Sep 20, 2007.

1. manrow

manrow Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that it is preferable to 'condition' heavy clay soils rather than have it removed and replaced with quality topsoil.

Any views, and what is the likely timescale?

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    The greatest problem with heavy clay soils is drainage
    Conditioning can help improve the top layer but the problem of drainage still persists underneath and conditioning is something that will continue for years
    I have been gardening on heavy clay for over 30 years
    My solution now is to condition the portion of the clay soil that I intend to plant in and then plant on top of that and mound up the earth around the plant. Alternatively make raised beds after breaking up and adding good organic matter to the top 6 inches or so (or more if you can make it)

3. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well the only bed i have conditioned for clay soil has taken a year. But i've hardly been rushing and i didn't know what i was doing at the time.

I treated my clay over time, but the added material ended up heaping the soil because there was too much for the space. So i've ended up getting rid of a lot of it, and adding organic mulch like wood bits and things. This has totally reformed the soil, also digging it all over a lot. I wouldn't call this bit at all like clay anymore.

The problem with just top soil is that it doesn't contain all the nutrients, and organic matter that is needed to help with water logging. This mulch holds water when clay is dry, and drains water when clay is waterlogged. So helps with general drainage.

4. manrow

manrow Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for responses; I had expected someone to suggest the easy route of replace topsoil, but as NewbieGreen so rightly says this will not provide nutrients, nor drainage.

As a matter of interest ten years ago we imported tons of sand, and then topsoil to improve this heavy clay garden, but it has taken the subsequent years to spread lots of compost, organic mulch etc., and then the evidence of worms to prove we have achieved something.

When we move shortly to heavy clay garden we will not import topsoil, for the reasons stated.