Hedge Cutting Platform

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Shaun, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Shaun

Shaun Gardener

Ratings:
    +23
    The height of my hedge is about 3.5M (11'6") and I now need a hedge cutting platform to trim the top.

Initially I was thinking of something like the followimng (due to stability):
    [​IMG]

But at nearly £1000 they are a bit pricy, so I was wondering if anyone here uses something like the following:
    [​IMG]

At just over £500 they are much more affordable, however my main concern is whether they are sufficiently stable on grass and shingle. Any guidance or recommendations would be much appreciated - many thanks.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,579
    I've got uneven slopes so I bought a pole hedge cutter but my hedges are only 6 to 8 ft. The pole cutter doesn't give a very good finish on the top, so I still find myself going up wobbly ladders. I keeping thinking I should buy a tripod ladder, or ones with adjustable legs but the price puts me off. I've been looking on ebay for a long time but they sell secondhand for nearly the same as new. I think the ones made by Henchman are very well made, I've looked at them at shows. I think it's a one off purchase that will last a lifetime, it's got to be worth it to keep safe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Shaun

Shaun Gardener

Ratings:
      +23
      I've got a Stihl with pole cutter, hedge cutter and extension attachments. You can't really use the pole cutter at ground level to trim the top of the hedge and the hedge cutter just can't cope with the thick branches. In the end I ordered a Henchman Major Hi Step Platform. Can't wait to try it out.

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,669
        I've got a Henchman Hi-Step Maxi. Absolutely amazingly stable - fully adjustable legs with pad feed mean you can stick it on any uneven ground and it is rock stable, even when leaning out as far as you can against the safety rail. If you want to use it for a hedge you'll need the wheels, but even then its not ideal - you tilt the platform backwards and "walk it back" with your hands, the wheels (attached to the ladder part) "land" first, and you then manoeuvre it like a wheelbarrow and then "walk" it back upright with your hands ... and then adjust the feet if necessary. Henchman's more expensive platform is probably better for that job, although I haven't got one of those ... yet! My tall hedges have not got to the height where they are a problem to cut, so my Hi Step is used for dealing with tall individual pruned trees - e.g. Pleach

Some pictures:
        http://kgarden.wordpress.com/projects/pleached-lime-hedge/#Henchman

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Shaun

Shaun Gardener

Ratings:
          +23
          Well my Henchman platform finally arrived and I've tried it out.

Although I'm not bothered by heights, I've never really been keen on climbing ladders. But this platform is really stable once you get the feet adjusted to the ground contours.

I stood on top, jigged about and lent over as far as I could with my Stihl pole cutter and it feels really safe.
          [​IMG]

I soon knocked the top of my leylandii into shape with the pole cutter, then when I was finished the platform folded up nicely for storing in the back of the garage.
          [​IMG]

I'm really pleased indeed as I'd feared my leylandii was going to get the better of me, but today I showed it who's boss ;-)

• JazzSi

JazzSi Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,239
          [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
          • Funny Funny x 2
          • FrankE

FrankE Apprentice Gardener

Ret'd
            Ratings:
            +9
          • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,669
            Dunno how long your hedge is, but if it is of a half decent length you might like to consider the wheels next year - makes it easier to "Move along the row" :)

• Shaun

Shaun Gardener

Ratings:
            +23
            I've got a Stihl pole and hedge cutter with an extension and I can cut the face of the hedge from ground level, but its impossible to see the top of my hedge (which is nearly 4m tall in places) from ground level, let alone cut it.

• FrankE

FrankE Apprentice Gardener

Ret'd
            Ratings:
            +9
            Sorry I was too quick from the OP to the last with the scroll. Cherry pickers are more difficult to hre without a licence these days.