1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

hedge prob

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by holly, Jan 16, 2005.

1. holly

holly Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello i wonder if anyone can help me i have a box hedge in my garden it is about twenty years old. two years ago i cut all the dead wood out of it since then it hasnt grown back as expected the leafs on the hedge seem to be going black and the hedge seems to be dying the leafs go yellow and then a white fungi seems to appear in the middle of the leaf then the leaf goes black is there anything i could do to prevent this happening. or shall i rip the hedge out and start again my neighbours hedge seems to be going the same way, has anyone got any suggestions? :rolleyes:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,998
    There is a relatively new disease which attacks Box. Can't tell you what it is called but I think it is incurable, some kind of fungus I think.
    pete2255

3. holly

Ratings:
    +0
    thankyou it sounds as if i will have to start all over again

4. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,998
    Holly
    I think if you start again with box you may find the same problem occurs. It seems to have established in your area and it could be some time before its safe to plant box again.
    pete2255

5. holly

Ratings:
    +0
    pete2255
    could i change the soil? would this enable me start again?
    holly

6. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,998
    Holly
    I've found an artical in the R H S journal May 2003. Box blight (cylindrocladium buxicola). Basically it says:- 'brown spots on leaves which fall rapidly, black streaks on small stems.
    Can survive for more than a year in the soil
    Fungicide containing penconazole (scotts fungus clear) may have some effect.'
    Presumably you would have to treat your neighbours hedge also and probably more than once. Depends on the size of the hedges as to wether its practical or not.

pete2255