Hedgehogs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by hans, May 11, 2006.

1. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    For the past few nights I have been feeding a hedgehog[catfood] and last night I was having a beer in my conservatory which overlooks the food and I realised I had 2 hedgehogs and I don't know wether it is one of each = baby hogs or 2 of the same sex. I have had more than one visiting but quite a few years ago. Last year I read posts with photos [Nathan I think] at GC and I said I had not seen one for a few years and as if by magic one turned up Well that was last year. Tonight I was sitting outside and I could hear quite a bit of sniffing type sounds and I remember these from years ago we could hear the courtship or is it a fight of some sort from our bedroom with the window open.
    Well I don't usually disturb my visitors but tonight just one photo. You will notice hog 2 to the right. The one is bigger than the other. see you in a week.
    [​IMG]

2. Lenton Rose

Lenton Rose Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ya Hans - your hedgehogs are so cute. They love to eat slugs too so best not to fill them up too much on cat food as there is plenty of natural food around for them at this time of year. A good time to feed them is late summer/early autumn when they are trying to fatten themselves up for the long winter sleep. I always make sure that there is plenty of fresh water available for them (especially during hot dry spells).

3. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    I do spoil them. I do not use slug pellets and so far it, or they, are doing a good job. On this really wet weather I feed them in the open shed which is not too far from 1 hegehog box [made last autumn] full of leaves. Although I'm not sure if it's occupied, must put a twig across the doorway. I may have to make another. Good point, I will put out some water when/if it ever stops raining and summer sets in.

4. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Delicious I believe if wrapped in clay and baked in the oven for about an hour. As you break the clay the spines are taken away with the hardened clay revealing the delicious cooked to a "T" flesh.

Sorry Hans - I have never actually done this, I adore them, but all too often the ones we see are casualties of RTA. I used to put them bowls of milk down, once I had a regular turn up with babies. Take care though they are usually full of fleas!

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,650
    Apparently milk's not good Waco, dog food and water. ;)

6. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Waco, try putting a few garlic cloves inside the clay :D
    Pete, they seem to like minced fillet steak best, with a bowl of Shiraz on the side. :D

7. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    why do i never see hedgehogs, are they rare in scotland?
    can i ask for some to be sent down from the outer hebrides cull?