1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

hedges for screen

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by LittleD, Jan 20, 2005.

1. LittleD

LittleD Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone suggest a quick growing hedge for a screen please?
    I'll tell you what I need, at the moment we have a shed to the left a greenhouse to the right and in between a nice slabbed area which picks up all the sun, at the back of this against the fence is three conifers, great at the top but dull, about 6 foot from the bottom, I was thinking of planting a hedge of some sorts to:
    a. screen the manky brown bit
    b. provide a nice backdrop for sitting by
    c. give the birds some refuge from the local moggy

In my mind I have got the idea of privet maybe the gold and green type to be evergreen, thick and bright

but any ideas appreciated
    LD

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,001
    Sounds like the conifers are pretty big. If so I would asume it could be a bit difficult to establish a hedge close to the base of these trees. Due to the conifers taking all the moisture and food from the soil. If anything can manage it privet can, although the gold leaved one dosen't grow as fast as the green one.