Hedging Ideas

Discussion in 'Trees' started by allang0831, Jan 17, 2012.

1. allang0831

allang0831 Apprentice Gardener

Ironmonger
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone total novice here , looking for a bit of advice please . I have 2 autistic kids 5 and 3 who we would love to enjoy the garden this summer . My main worry is there are plenty of ways out onto the road . I was going to put up fencing but have just moved into the area and would rather not upset anyone , so decided a reasonably high hedge would be the way forward as hedging looks better . i'am not fussed about maintainance , as long as it deters them from the road and is not poisonous. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. albo

albo Apprentice Gardener

Semi-retired
    Ratings:
    +1
    The problem you will have is how to create a reasonably dense and high hedge in a short timescale and at a reasonable cost without planting a monster that could get out of hand, such as Leylandii. You may want to limit the range to hardy evergreens without spines and a height of 5 or 6 feet, for example. Your soil conditions (probably clay to loam in Glasgow?) and sun or shade aspect might also be useful for us to give advice.

3. alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,073
    I understand your concern about a fence and your very thoughtful consideration for the neighbours. Why not put up a tempory one, then grow a selection of native British hegde-row plants. When they are established take down the fence.
    a-a

4. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
  5. albo

albo Apprentice Gardener

Semi-retired
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you plant something fast-growing, such as *dim*'s suggestion, which is certainly a quick way to get a cheap hedge, you will have to cut it often to stop it getting too high and annoying your neighbours. Hedges also mean your neighbours will have to cut their side. Cutting high hedges can be difficult and dangerous if you don't do it with the proper equipment and procedures. I agree with alex-adam: plant a fence that can be swallowed up by a slower-growing hedge in time.

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I would go with good, much maligned, but faithful. Privet. Semi evergreen, easy to care for, sweetly scented white flowers.:dbgrtmb:

7. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,341
    Now I will have to contact my daughter and find out the name,
    She got 60 bare root 3' high plants for £20 a go off "Gumtree" FREE delivery
    (they look like leylandii but are not, soft leaves) it was a company, so not just limited stock, this was early Dec 2011,
    I will call her tomorrow and get more info, then post back, but cheap options are out there

Jack McHammocklashing

8. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    photinia red robin

evergreen, hardy and fairly cheap for large shrubs

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1