Hedging plants that love shade, preferably that grow fast and maybe even flowering?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TheMadHedger, Mar 19, 2024.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +246
    I have a short stretch (about 6 feet wide, 5 feet high) of an east to west concrete block wall that I want to put plants on the north side of, therefore for many months of the year the plants will be in permanent shade.

Preferably a dense fast grower, and also preferably that will flower (but not essential).

Any ideas please? Thanks.

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,438
    Privet, Mahonia, some Viburnums, Eleagnus, Laurel - both types, Holly, Berberis, Osmanthus.
    Your soil conditions will also dictate, but I grow, or have grown, all of those in that sort of site and aspect. Pieris and rhododendrons too, if it's not too alkaline. :smile:

I should have said - the rate they grow at depends on climate and conditions, as well as prep of the site. Anything very fast growing will need a lot more attention because it won't just stop growing, but any shrub/hedge will take a year or two to settle before growing at any rate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,938
      I have a Griselinia hedge in a similar situation. It gets about an hour of sun in the morning and is then in light shade. It's overshadowed by a huge laurel hedge in my neighbour's garden and has coped well, despite being in shallow, sandy soil. As long as you don't get really severe winters where you are, it should be fine. No flowers but it's evergreen and fast growing.

DSC01032.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
      • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
        Ratings:
        +3,460
        Lonicera nitada would suit that size space. It clothes itself very densely from the ground up, but only flowers very occasionally (and you need a magnifying glass to see them :)). It is a very easy-going, trouble-free, disease-resistant plant and responds well to clipping, in my experience. It copes with drought after the first yr.

• Like Like x 1
        • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
          +246
          Thanks to you all for the most excellent suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
            Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
          • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +2,938
            I should have said that Griselinia does flower, but the flowers are insignificant @TheMadHedger!