Heirloom apples

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Nickoslesteros, Apr 20, 2024.

1. Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
    +53
    I'm really driven to plant ah Heirloom apple tree, as I'm sick to death of the bland same tasting stuff in the super markets. I do have a couple of apple trees in the garden, but I'm unsure if the variety, and I think they are quite old. I think they are on quite sml rootstocks as the tallest is probably 7-8 feet tall, and don't show much sign of going higher.

I'm planning on creating a new island bed in the lawn, and make an apple tree a focus and under plant etc.

The spot on my garden I propose is basically full sun, but can be exposed to the westerly winds ( and I'm right on the North West coast - like 150m away).

Any apple experts? I'd love some ideas of varieties, forms and rootstock combinations which might suit my situation. I love a Worcester Pearmain, but no idea if it could work for me.

Many thanks :)

2. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,863
    I've previously grown Darcy spice, Cornish aromatic and egremont russet. All lovely flavours, but suspect the first two might find your location challenging. Might be worth visiting local gardens in the yellow book and see what they grow.

3. Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,033
    Not sure about heirloom varieties, but I agree most bought apples are not great - they all have the same homogenous taste - Cox being an exception

I have 3 apple trees - Katy, Scrumptious and Hereford Russet all on dwarfing rootstock in a south-west exposed area.
    The Katy is OK, but not much better than a good bought apple. It tastes better before it's fully ripe.
    The Scrumptious is excellent. It was recommended by a friend of a friend who all grow them and they are right. It's bright red, crisp and has a sweet almost melon-like flavour and perfume.
    The Russet is also excellent - typical strong russet perfume, complex taste and quite delicious.

4. On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,504
    We also have Katy which is an earlier one. The best keeping is Spartan. Blenheim Orange is an amazing taste and size. We have 2 Falstaff apple trees which fruit well and are tasty. Tydeman's Early Worcester is richly flavoured and a lovely red colour.

5. Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
    Ratings:
    +575
    It might be worth biding yor time and seeing if there is a local apple fair you could visit in the Autumn. There are so many varieties and what I may really love you may not and vice versa. We inherited an Ashmead Kernel, which is highly praised flavour wise but in our experience very variable both quantity/quality of crop and flavour. One year it is indifferent and the next lovely but even then nothing to write home about. Beautiful blossom though.

We also have (what we think) is a Dumelow Seedling, marvellous cooking apple for both flavour, texture and crop. Also stores well, without any fuss. I fill a large old straw shopping bag (no wrapping, separation etc) and simply use them gradually over three months or so. Probably around 15kg, and that’s only picking what we can easily reach and what we think we can use (there’s only two of us) with our lazy storage method. The parakeets, blackbirds and redwings eat the rest.

6. katecat58

katecat58 Gardener

Ratings:
    +313
    National Trust properties often have apple days in Autumn where you may be able to ask for advice and try different varieties.

• Agree Agree x 1