Helichrysum question.

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Gazania, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
    +204
    Hi all, I bought my mum a couple of Helichrysum plants this spring and they have looked wonderful, flowering all summer with their papery flowers.
    I thought I would try to grow some for next year. I took a cutting from one plant which is growing nicely. And I also planted a packet of seeds in pots in September. The seeds have certainly grown and are now standing over 6" high. I am not experienced in growing seeds in the greenhouse but these plants look too large. Especially as they won't be planted out until next spring.
    Should I expect such big plants in November to be planted out next spring ?

Many thanks,

Gazania

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi Gaz, Helichrysums are regarded as Annuals and treated as such. So taking cuttings of them is not usually done! Annuals are sown in the year that they flower and with Helichrysums you normally sow the seed in March or April, on the site where they're to grow, for them to flower, and they will usually flower around July to September. So it will be interesting to see what these sown out of sequence plants will do.:D

3. Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
    +204
    Hi, so is it just a matter of leaving them in the greenhouse and hope that they live until spring ?

Gazania