Hello, after some tips and advice

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Marthascat, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marthascat

Marthascat Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone.

My name is Alfie, and I bought my first house last year.

Now, firstly, this year is the first time I've started in the garden, so last weekend I set to to tidy things up.
    The house is a lovely old cottage, small with a lovely decent sized garden, full to bursting with lots of colourful plants. Lots of trees and (my brother says shrubs) I believe what my brother has told me, acers of all sizes. It needed a good tidy up, all leaves and stuff, so I started on that. Also, my brother told me (I have not got the first clue about a garden or flowers) that everything needed a good feed. I dont really water anything until it rains so a lot of the plants are looking droopy.

Anyway, my brother told me about a plant and tree food called glypasate?? So I bought quite a lot from my local b&q and gave it to all my plants and grass. I really soaked the acers? (sp) And the shrubs and the roses ( that's the only flower I remember!.) I ran out of the glypasate so tonight went to b&q again and got some more and put it all on my other plants and more on the grass. The grass is really green but my brother did say it would make it greener, so I'm looking forward to what it looks like in a months time.

My girlfriend is made up that I've started on the garden and can't wait until next year when we get a summer!

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,807
    Good evening Alfie,
    and welcome to Gardeners Corner. Sounds as though you've been busy already.Can you just check the name of the product that you have watered everything with? And a picture of your cottage garden would be nice,
    Jenny namaste

3. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,873
    Hi Alfie, welcome to GC! :sign0016:

You'll like it here - really friendly place, with loads of knowledge to be had from very helpful people.

I'm no expert, but the name of the 'food' that your brother recommended to you scares the bejesus out of me, as it is remarkably close to glyphosate which is a weed/plant killer. I hope I am wrong, but please check your packaging just to make sure?

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Nice try,

Not sure if its you or your brother thats being the wind up merchant here:biggrin:

Which college are you at? Charterhouse or Cranleigh?

• Like Like x 3
      • Marthascat

Ratings:
        +0
        Hello :) jenni namaste and fat controller ( are you a train fan too?)

Yes, that's it, sorry I spelt it wrong. It's glyphosate, it says it kills all the weeds ( I hope so, there are a lot in my garden.

Jenni, I'll take a picture of my garden tomorrow after work, its too dark now. It really is pretty as my girlfriend says, lol, it's what made are mind up buying this house :)

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
        Ratings:
        +31,807
        Whoooops:sofa:,
        over to you Admin,
        Jenny

• Marthascat

Ratings:
        +0
        Hello zigs, I'm not at college, I,m a builder.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +51,873
        No, not a train fan - I was a bus service controller many years ago when I picked my screen name, and it has stuck ever since; I'm still chubby though!

Anyway, back on topic - assuming that you are not on a wind up, glyphosate will kill anything and everything plant like that it comes into contact with - plants, weeds, grass, trees - the lot.

Please tell us that you have not gone and sprayed this all over the place, and on everything?

• al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
        Ratings:
        +3,267
      • Marthascat

Ratings:
        +0
        Hello

Yes, sprayed it on everything with it. It says it kills weeds but nothing about trees. If I water everything with my hosepipe will it stop killing the weeds and trees? Was my brother not right in telling me to buy the plant food? I have put some on next doors plants too that are hanging over my fence because the leaves were brown. It's not a tree though so will that be ok?

• al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
        Ratings:
        +3,267
      • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,517
        Glyphosate!!! Is this a wind up? It will kill most things, except trees and the like:hate-shocked: It is NOT a plant food, quite the opposite!!!

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,881
        Welcome to Gardeners Corner Marthascat. As FC has said Glyphosate is a systemic weedkiller not a plant food. It will kill everything it touches, weeds, plants, lawn and young trees. Systemic means it will make it's way down the plant stem inside and eventually kill the roots. There is absolutely nothing you can do now unfortunately, you will see the plants start to die in the next week or so. I'm so sorry this has happened. :sad: Your neighbours are not going to be very happy either.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +51,873
        Like Zigs, I smell a wind up somewhere here.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I'll assume it is your brother that is one the wind up, and that being the case it sounds like he has just persuaded you to kill just about every bit of plant life in your garden (and possibly that plant of your neighbours as well, assuming that you haven't sprayed only dead foliage).

• Like Like x 1
        • Marthascat

Ratings:
          +0
          Hello friddy, hello shawl,

No, it's not a wind up, I,m not joking, will it seriously kill everything? Surely, my brother wouldn't tell me to buy it if it did?? Oh god, what will I tell the old dear and her husband next door? I'll go around tomorrow after work to tell them. Hopefully they'll be okay about it, and I suppose I can buy them a new one? Not in their good books at the moment either, when I knocked down the old outside toilet, the kango I was using forced a sandstone block through there kitchen window and killled their pet bird.

Thread Status:
        Not open for further replies.